Anybody care to critique my California Common recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a recipe for a California Common. After looking at some of the other recipes and playing around with BeerSmith, I have come up with this (for a 5G batch):

7lb Pale LME
1lb Crystal 60
0.5lb Victory
0.25lb Belgian Candi (clear)

1oz Northern Brewer @ 60
0.5oz Northern Brewer @ 15
0.5oz Norther Brewer at flameout

Ferment with WLP810
---
Will hopping at flameout give this too much nose? I've never brewed this style before, would I be better off just saving those hops for next time? And will the candi make it noticeably dry? I only threw that in because BeerSmith showed my ABV was pretty low for the style (and, I happened to have some lying around).

Thanks for any and all comments!

DoctorMemory said:
I'm trying to come up with a recipe for a California Common. After looking at some of the other recipes and playing around with BeerSmith, I have come up with this (for a 5G batch):

7lb Pale LME
1lb Crystal 60
0.5lb Victory
0.25lb Belgian Candi (clear)

1oz Northern Brewer @ 60
0.5oz Northern Brewer @ 15
0.5oz Norther Brewer at flameout

Ferment with WLP810
---
Will hopping at flameout give this too much nose? I've never brewed this style before, would I be better off just saving those hops for next time? And will the candi make it noticeably dry? I only threw that in because BeerSmith showed my ABV was pretty low for the style (and, I happened to have some lying around).

Thanks for any and all comments!

Doc, did you brew this? How'd it turn out? I've got about an 1-3/4 oz's of Northern Brewer left over from a past brew and don't want them to go to waste. Thanks

Doc, did you brew this? How'd it turn out? I've got about an 1-3/4 oz's of Northern Brewer left over from a past brew and don't want them to go to waste. Thanks

I did, and was disappointed. The brew tastes great, but fermentation stalled and I wound up with an ABV of only about 3.1. It's a good session beer, but not what I intended. I'll be trying it again in a couple of weeks and hope for some better results.

DoctorMemory said:
I did, and was disappointed. The brew tastes great, but fermentation stalled and I wound up with an ABV of only about 3.1. It's a good session beer, but not what I intended. I'll be trying it again in a couple of weeks and hope for some better results.

Oh man bummer on it getting stuck.... I brewed mine up last night used 6lbs pale DME and went with 1lb of the C-40L we'll see how it turns out.

Back