Any way I won't have to add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Bought a smack pack of Wyeast 3944 for a Belgian wit in February. It's been in the fridge until a couple days ago when I went to smack it. It was dated Oct. 2k17. It barely inflated after being at room temp for a day. I made a starter with it and the starter didn't really foam up at all when I shook it like all my starters normally do. Adventures in Homebrewing said it might take off in a few days in the beer. They said if the yeast is dead (which they seriously doubted) it wouldn't adversely affect the flavor of the beer. They said give it a few days and see if I see any fermentation signs. Anybody experienced with 3944? AIH said it can be a little slow to start. However, I'm not feeling too good about this. I pitched it and am hoping to see something by Friday... Thoughts?

The airlock was bubbling 30 hours after pitching so I guess the old smack pack that barely inflated and a starter that was still 1.038 20 hours after making it didn't hold the yeast back much, if at all...

Yeah, now I wonder if this 3944 is a slow worker. I'm still getting about 1 bubble/30 seconds 8 days after brew day. I'm not in a big hurry - as long as it reaches FG in another week or so, I think I'll make my timeline.

Yeah, now I wonder if this 3944 is a slow worker. I'm still getting about 1 bubble/30 seconds 8 days after brew day. I'm not in a big hurry - as long as it reaches FG in another week or so, I think I'll make my timeline.

Bubbles in the airlock are for entertainment. Your hydrometer is the tool to see if the beer is completely fermented. I might check the beer on day 10 and again on day 12 and with no change in the reading I might then bottle it....or I might wait another week to let more yeast settle out.

Yeah, I had planned on taking a hydrometer reading this weekend. I brewed it last Wednesday. I know a hydrometer is the only way to accurately measure fermentation. But, USUALLY, an airlock still bubbling means something is going on, but certainly not always. Anyway, I've read that a lot of Belgian strains, including 3944, can be slow to finish up.

Latest posts

Back