Any tractor guys out there? Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I have a JD 950, the back tire needs air. Salt water filled. I bought a 200 psi air compressor and a kit since it came with no attachments. I can fill my car and truck tires just fine with the nossle, but it doesn't work on the tractor tires. To me it looks like the "pin" in the stem is much deeper than my truck tire stem. I think this is the problem. I need to get it filled before the rim seal breaks and I have bigger problems.

So what do I do? Do I need to buy a special nossle?

yeah, I am a member. But replies are slow, I guess tractor talk not as popular as beer talk.

Hold on I'll ask one of the guys here at work. We have several tractor fanatics.

One guy ssaid he didn't think it was anything but a standard fitting. Maybe the valve stem core needs replacing?

The rubber in the air chuck could be bad and not let the fitting depress valve core.

I farm and have many tractors of all sizes. Have never seen a tire valve other then the same style found on cars. If you push the pin does air come out or is it seized.

Sorry, I work nights. Anyway, what you guys say must be true. I called the local JD place and they confirmed they are typical valve stems.

Chuck is brand new and works fine on my truck and car.

I will check and see if air comes out when I push on the pin.

The last 2 times I had low tires on it I took it across the street to the farm there and the son (50 years old, lifetime farmer) did it first time, last time his dad (88 years old, lifetime farmer) did it and had no problem. They checked all 4 for me both times (nice people). Something does not make sense here, I am puzzled. Pins sure look a lot more recessed than my pickup tires. Maybe old man did something? That doesn't make sense either. Tires are dry rotted anyway, probably why the one is losing air every couple months.

I farm and have many tractors of all sizes. Have never seen a tire valve other then the same style found on cars. If you push the pin does air come out or is it seized.

Ok, I took a small screwdriver and pushed in the pin and sure enough air came out so I decided to give it one more shot, perhaps it was stuck. Well, I got the tire inflated but I had to push really, really hard to get it to work, nothing like the moderate pressure needed to a car tire.

Bad news is in one week it was back to the half flat condition. I am probably going to have to take it for repair. I will call the place by me that does all sixe tractor sizes and see what they suggest. My guess is since they will need to let the water out anyway they will tell me to do that so I can lift it into my pickup. My guess again is they will tell me I need to replace the whole tire due to dry rot. That is what they told me for the smaller front tire. If I remember correctly the price for the back tire is $250.

Good news it is a slow leak and I have a compressor now so I can get by until I do get it fixed.

Haven't lost tire pressure since 10/23 ^^ . Must have been the tire valve got stuck slightly open. I guess when I do add air I need to take a screwdriver and make sure it pops back out and seals all the way. Whatever is in those tires it does a job on those valves. Just a matter of time I think before thay fall apart. Better think about replacement.

You can change the center of a tire valve. Just drive until the valve is up then Jack the axle up to take the weight off so not much chloride will pour out.

I was thinking a standard valve stem also, must be something else wrong. What is weird is the salt water thing. I know tractor tires have water in them, but never heard of salt water in them. That is weird because salt water is very very corrosive. Would think it would rust the rims from the inside out, which is a bad thing.

If the salt water is to keep them from freezing, I would think a small amount of anti-freeze would be better. Just saying.

Do they use inner tubes when using the saltwater to keep the corrosive away from the rims? If I remember right saltwater weighs an extra 2lbs/gallon.

Ahhh. Good point. I forgot about the inner tube. Duhhhh. Yea, think they do. Senior moments are getting closer together now.

Someone told what the first sign of old age is, but I forgot what it was.

Ahhh. Good point. I forgot about the inner tube. Duhhhh. Yea, think they do. Senior moments are getting closer together now.

Someone told what the first sign of old age is, but I forgot what it was.

I was told mine has saltwater in it by the guy I bought it from but they do use less corrosive liquid I believe (See chloride above).

Latest posts

Back