Any tips for my biab english pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgregg

Reaction score
I'm brewing this tomorrow and it's only my 2nd all grain/biab batch so I was wondering if my recipe looks okay:

6 lbs golden promise
1 lb maris otter
1 lb pilsner(or 2 row. I have both)
.25 lbs crystal 120

mash in 5 gallons water at 153 for an hour. Rinse/sparge the bag of grains with 2 gallons at 170.

1 lb corn sugar and 1 0z fuggles at 60 min
1 oz kent goldings at 45
1 oz fuggles at 5 min

1 packet danstar nottingham.

Any tips or tweaks are welcome.
Thanks

As far as the grain bill goes I think your okay there. I usually try to keep my Pales a little simpler but that's just my preference. The only thing you might want to look in to would be working in a hop addition somewhere in the 25-15 minute range for a little flavor.

English pales aren't really known for the tooth rotting hoppiness of their american counterparts but a both EKGs and Fuggles are fairly mild in flavor and should do nice.

FYI...I use Nottingham for most of my beers regardless of style. Excellent choice for this one and if you keep it down in the low 60's you'll notice it leaves you with a very clean ale.

Cheers!

Seems fine. Any particular reason you're only using 5 gal to mash with? A small mash tun/pot? I'd recommend going full volume if you can, but I get it that sometimes it just won't fit.

Back