Any thing wrong with this Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sause

Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 27.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.7 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
0.50 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
5.00 gal Milwaukee, WI Water
1 Starter London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Looking to make this for Christmas, I think it will be a good all around beer that most people will enjoy.

Hi Sause
Sounds lovely does that recipe! although its a bit sparse on the hops, porters can be anything upto 40 ibu's and still have a good flavour balance.
personaly i would enjoy low 30's,all a matter of taste eh!

That is a very interesting recipe. I've always used black patent in my porters so I would like to know how this one comes out. The use of the dark crystal along with the brown and chocolate malts will give you a dark enough color without the harsh burnt roast flavor of the black patent.
I agree with Brew Chick. Your bittering hops may be a bit low. Maybe bump them into the 28-30 range to balance the maltiness this brew will have. Then again if you are not a hop head maybe it will be fine as is.:mug:
Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

What are you trying to acheive with the brown malt that you are not getting with the chocolate malt?

That looks similar to one i made but i used 1 pound of chocolate. very very smooth beer. i also added a bit of lactose.

Reverend

I just don't want it to taste like a stout or any thing close too it. I also wanted something to counter act the munich malt. Since this is for christmas a biscuty flavor would be nice.

As for the hop I am actualy going to check and see what the AA% are on the fuggle at LHBS. I just used the default on beersmith. I think you guys are right since it's going to end at 1.012 I'll need something to counter act that. I'll probably go with about 27-30 ibu's.

sause said:
I just don't want it to taste like a stout or any thing close too it. I also wanted something to counter act the munich malt. Since this is for christmas a biscuty flavor would be nice.

As for the hop I am actualy going to check and see what the AA% are on the fuggle at LHBS. I just used the default on beersmith. I think you guys are right since it's going to end at 1.012 I'll need something to counter act that. I'll probably go with about 27-30 ibu's.

Keep in mind that Stout came from porter.

All in all though, this looks like it will be a good brown-style porter. I also think the IBU's would be better served to be upped a tad, especially for a Christmas-time beer, and given your recipe.

Just my .02.

Cheers.

Looks like a good recipe. I prefer Victory or biscuit over brown, but nothing wrong with what you've got. Sometimes I'll use an ounce or two of black barley, but not in a Brown Porter. The Rogue Mocha Porter clone I like uses 2 oz.

Amarillo is a nice hop for porters. Nothing wrong with Fuggles, though.

david_42 said:
Looks like a good recipe. I prefer Victory or biscuit over brown, but nothing wrong with what you've got. Sometimes I'll use an ounce or two of black barley, but not in a Brown Porter. The Rogue Mocha Porter clone I like uses 2 oz.

Amarillo is a nice hop for porters. Nothing wrong with Fuggles, though.

What kind of flavors will you get out of the Victory? I'm working on a porter recipe for my next batch (a smoked porter, precisely), and I'm trying to work out what my complementary grains ought to be.

The only thing that I see wrong with this recipe is that you have not planned to brew an extra half-gallon or so to send me.

:D :p

I went to the LHBS and the fuggles they have are lower AA then I planed. The fuggles were 3.7% so I'm going to add an ounce of EKG's at 4.1 that I had lying around so the IBU's are up to 29 that should be a little more balenced.

The hop schedule looks like this now:

1.00 oz Fuggles [3.70%] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.10%] (30 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [3.70%] (10 min) Hops 4.8 IBU

Looks excellent. EKG & Fuggles play well together. You might even consider doing 1/2 oz of each for aroma and flavor.

Must update this thread, this one came out very nicely. The chocolate malt came out very prominatly, with a great balence in sweetness over the bitterness. A little thin in body, but i wasn't looking for a chewing beer.

Edit: This beer is dark, I can't see through it, it's so dark.

Any beer that keeps the black patent out is fine in my books.

God do I ever hate the taste of black patent when it stands out.
It is the only malt I have used that I keep to a minimum.

Back