Any suggestions for adding lemon to my wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerRedhawk

Reaction score
I brewed the AHS anniversary lemon wheat. I added 1/8oz of lemon peel at I believe 5 minutes. If I wanted a slightly more lemony aroma would adding a touch of zest after primary fermentation is done be a good idea? Or a bad idea. I know I can just add lemons at serving time, but if reasonable I'd like to add it to the beer as you would when dry hopping.

If you want more lemon oils, then certainly add the zest to the primary (or secondary). *Personally*, I would not, only because the oils will affect the head when you pour the beer.

YMMV

If you want more lemon oils, then certainly add the zest to the primary (or secondary). *Personally*, I would not, only because the oils will affect the head when you pour the beer.

YMMV

Thanks for the advice, this is why I'm asking. If it will affect head it might be better to serve it as is and keep lemon slices on hand if anyone wants to add a bit to their glass.

I dunno... The Carapils and Wheat should facilitate good head. I don't think I'd worry too much about head retention. If you want to see what you like better, split the batch into 2, 2.5gal batches (rack half into a secondary, leave the other half alone). Put lemon zest in one and none in the other.

you could dry hop it with sorachi ace, it gives a lemony aroma

That sounds like a great idea. Wonder if I can find it locally though. Found it online, but I'm not ordering anything else right now and most places charge a minimum shipping which kills the thought of ordering just a single ounce of hops.

Nothing wrong with dry hopping. Although I would hazard to guess that adding a bit more at flameout would give plenty of aroma. I usually ad 1 ounce of zest when brewing a wit, and the orange is noticeable.

Back