Any Spanish speakers here to help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

262andbrew

Reaction score
I am on my way to Colombia this weekend and will be there for a couple of weeks. I get around ok, but I don't know if there is a way increase my chances of finding any good beer that might be around.

Here in the U.S. I ask around for "breweries", "good beer", "craft beer", or "micro brew". Between those 4 terms most servers can get you past the BMC brews if they have any.

I am hoping that any Spanish speakers might give me the terms, catch phrases, or slang that will get me closer to a good pint.

Any ideas?

fabricar cerveza is the closest i can think to brew.. So any form of Fabricar or Fabricacion de la cerveza is Brewing Beer.. Cerveza de artesania local would be the closest to local craft beer. hope those help

try doing some research in advance

if you can identify local craft breweries by name it will prob be much easier to find them (if they exist)

Soy cervecero casero. Means I am a homebrewer in Mexican Spanish. There may be other dialects.

Cerveza artesanal might get you places. If it's not 100% dead on, it reveals this on google:
[ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=la+piscina+DIALECT&hl=en&source=lnms&ei=fQEqTtuWEofLgQfQh5GDCw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=1&ved=0CC4Q_AUoAA&biw=1103&bih=584#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=cerveza+artesanal+colombia&pbx=1&oq=cerveza+art&aq=2&aqi=g5&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=0l0l1l30289l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d4254cc904f96be6&biw=1103&bih=548[/ame]

Dialect is weird
la piscina is swimming pool in the Catalan dialect
alberca is swimming pool in Mexico.

Mexican Spanish is full of slang that is usable only in Mexico.

Flag down a cab, and tell him, "Por favor, llevame a un bar con varios tipos de cerveza y te chupo la verga."

Ok, you may want to forget the last bit.

hops in spanish is lúpulos but there is no word like "hoppy", you have to say "with lots of hops" con mucho lúpulos". go to bogota beer company or 3 cordilleras in medellin and i bet they will be happy to show you around.

here in argentina it is called cerveza/birra artesanal.

one could say

busco cerveza artesanal.. I'm looking for craft-beer...

uds tienen cerveza artesanal? Do you have craft-beer?

saben uds donde puedo comprar/tomar cerveza artesanal? Do you know where I can buy/drink craft-beer?

busco una cervecería artesanal... - I'm looking for a micro-brewery...

let me know if there is anything else!

Brewery - Cervezeria

Good Beer: Buena Cerveza/Cerveza Buena

Honestly I wouldn't know how to say Microbrew or Craft Beer in spanish, The places in Mexico I am familiar with don't have any.

You could try asking for "special" beers: Cerveza's especiales.

Unique beers: Cerveza's unicas.

Famous beers: Cerveza's famosas.

Or Best Beers: Las mejores cervezas.

Keep in mind that spanish is different between Mexico and Columbia, but I hope it helps.

some keywords..

hops - lúpulos
barley - cebada
wheat - trigo
bitter - amargo
sweet - dulce
flavor - sabor
pale beer - cerveza rubia
red beer - cerveza roja
dark beer - cerveza negra

also if you like hoppy beer you could say..
busco una cerveza aromatizada con lúpulos

Here is my translator.

Mouth_Translation_2.gif

Back