Any soap makers around here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosschk

Working on a good one.....
Reaction score
I do it for the chemistry

I did combine brewing with soap making and made 2 batches of soap using older homebrew and it worked out pretty good

Yep, there's even a dedicated thread.

I blame @Yooper for this new addic.... I mean, useful hobby.

Man don't even start thinking about growing your own mushrooms (not the magic ones, the culinary ones).... I've started it, there's no turning back for me now, but you can still make it! Ruuuuun! :D

Man no one updated that in a long time

Here is my currect curing rack

Attachments

• 20220930_082636.jpg
    20220930_082636.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Man no one updated that in a long time

Here is my currect curing rack
I got three batches. Two identical soaps with different scenting and one experiment where I turned a block of cheapest frying fat into soap, which actually worked quite well. I made the mistake to package of in a plastic freezer bag, now it's almost completely oxidised but still cleans fine.

I got three batches. Two identical soaps with different scenting and one experiment where I turned a block of cheapest frying fat into soap, which actually worked quite well. I made the mistake to package of in a plastic freezer bag, now it's almost completely oxidised but still cleans fine.
I'm on batch 25 i think. Mostly boring unscented stuff

What fat did you use?

I usually stick with olive, cocnut and recently started using palm (responsibly sourced, or how ever you say it)

I've even made liquid soap from just olive oil. The paste came out good and the only soap i make that i add essential oils to...after its diluted of course

lol, i still need to get a golden oyster culture....it's on the do list...

i'm just posting in this thread to ask a question... soap is just a sodium salt?
Do not. Golden Oyster tastes like crap. It was my first homegrown mushroom, really easy to grow, and BEAUTIFUL to look at, seriously, they look AMAZING. Just like a yellow space plant from mars.

And then I fried it and... urgs... not good.

Go for other oysters, I am currently growing pale oyster (just inocculated the bags this morning) and I am also trying elm oyster (inocculated yesterday). These should be farely easy to grow as well but also taste good. Oyster is a solid beginners choice... although my first real success was with shiitake, but I have honestly no idea why :D.

Do not. Golden Oyster tastes like crap. It was my first homegrown mushroom, really easy to grow, and BEAUTIFUL to look at, seriously, they look AMAZING. Just like a yellow space plant from mars.

And then I fried it and... urgs... not good.

Go for other oysters, I am currently growing pale oyster (just inocculated the bags this morning) and I am also trying elm oyster (inocculated yesterday). These should be farely easy to grow as well but also taste good. Oyster is a solid beginners choice... although my first real success was with shiitake, but I have honestly no idea why :D.

room temp is 80f year round here though.....

While Soapmaking definitely is an older thread, I am still an avid soapmaker, teaching soap classes and working with a soap forum. I use Soapmaking Recipe Software & Lye Calculator for my calculations and have quite a few recipes posted there.

I also do liquid soap, bath and body products like lotion and bath bomb fizzies, and more.

I render my own tallow from lamb, pork, beef, and deer (deer tallow is my favorite) and use a lot of olive oil and some coconut oil as well. I don’t use refined industrial seed oils, just because I don’t buy them.

It’s great fun, and my family has their certain preferences so I make charcoal soap for my son-in-law, pine tar soap for my grandson with psoriasis, deer tallow soap for my husband, etc. I also make shampoo bars, and my favorite are 100% coconut oil ‘spa salt bars’ that are great for my, um, mature, skin.

I got into it. For 2 weeks. In that time, I made a lifetime amount of soap. Srsly, I still use soap from then. I bought a bunch of fragrances and mica colorants, but by the time it all arrived, I had all the soap I needed. In a few years, I might run out, then I'll get back into it again.

I got into it. For 2 weeks. In that time, I made a lifetime amount of soap. Srsly, I still use soap from then. I bought a bunch of fragrances and mica colorants, but by the time it all arrived, I had all the soap I needed. In a few years, I might run out, then I'll get back into it again.

My first batch, I followed a recipe. This was before there were soapmaking software programs on the internet. I followed the recipe exactly for goat’s milk soap (I had gallons of goat’s milk so decided it sounded like a good idea).

You really have no idea how many bars of soap 7 pounds of soap is. I think I used the last of that batch in about 2018 or so. But I can’t help it- I have to make MORE. Luckily, a well made soap doesn’t go bad!

My first batch, I followed a recipe. This was before there were soapmaking software programs on the internet. I followed the recipe exactly for goat’s milk soap (I had gallons of goat’s milk so decided it sounded like a good idea).

You really have no idea how many bars of soap 7 pounds of soap is. I think I used the last of that batch in about 2018 or so. But I can’t help it- I have to make MORE. Luckily, a well made soap doesn’t go bad!

Mine have changed color - darker. Otherwise, they haven't changed.

When my second kiddo was born he had super sensitive skin. We struggled to find diapers and soaps that wouldn't irritate him. I'd already been interested in soap making since we were trying to be more sustainable in our home, so I decided to try to make some soap. It worked great for him and now we don't use anything else!

What do you guys think of this recipe?

Attachments

• Edit Recipe_ Hoppy Soap _ Soapmaking Friend (1).pdf
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
Back