any recommendations for a mid winter session beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veedo

Reaction score
Wife and I are looking for our next beer to brew and keg, but cannot make up our minds. Already have a speckled heifer and ipa on tap, another cream ale waiting to be kegged, along with a moose drool clone. Dead ringer ipa will be brewed soon, so we are looking more along the lines of a low gravity beer. Tempted to brew some sort of american wheat, but seems like a beer that best goes with summer. Would be nice to have 5-6 pints and remember going to bed. Any recommendations?

I like an American Wheat anytime. I have one kegged right now. I also just kegged and am carbing a Kolsch. It will be tapped tomorrow night.

Ok, you talked me into a wheat :). I have always overlooked the milds, but now i am interested. I've never had one that i know of, are there any commercial brewed milds worth trying?

Any american wheat recipe suggestions?

Veedo said:
Ok, you talked me into a wheat :). I have always overlooked the milds, but now i am interested. I've never had one that i know of, are there any commercial brewed milds worth trying?

+1 on the mild! I'd never had one either but head the Jamil Show podcast and decided to try it. Orfy's recipe in the database here is amazing! Nice hint of roastiness and good flavor/body that are hard to believe at 3.6% ABV!!

Make something she likes for V-Day.. it's a month and half out?

there's a really tasty looking Special Bitter recipe in the current issue of zymurgy. very easy extract/grains recipe and looks quite tasty. i plan on brewing it all-grain in the next month or two.

Commercial milds are a bit difficult to come by. Around your area, there is one listed in the BJCP style guidelines that you may be able to find: Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster.

Granted, I understand that Detroit isn't exactly close to the upper penninsula, but it's a lot closer than all the other examples which are from the U.K.

There is a mild brewed out here by a local place in LA called Eagle Rock Brewing called Solidarity which is pretty decent, but it's only on tap around here, and even then only sporadically. In fact, I don't think I've seen it again since the brewery first opened a year or so ago.

Veedo said:
Ok, you talked me into a wheat :).

5 lbs 2 row
4 lbs wheat
Mash at 151 for 60 min.
Collect 7 gallons of wort for 5.5 gallon batch
1 oz willamette @ 60 min.
1 oz cascade @ 15
.5 oz cascade @ 5
Cool and pitch yeast. I use Wyeast 1010

Hmm, its looking like a mild and a wheat are up next. Rossi, where did that recipe come from? Seems simple enough, i even have a bag of locally grown cascade hops i can use.

It's mine. Adapted from northern brewer, but different. I've made it several times, sometimes I through an orange and lemon in the boil.

Don't forget a california common!!!!!!!! I just got done brewing up my second batch this winter.

Just a thought.

For winter/early spring I would say Mild/Brown Ale/Bitters. I think an ESB a bit strong for what you are looking for. I also like the dunkelweisse idea. This time of year; when I was stationed in Germany, I drank kellerbier, but I don't know about a recipe for it.

Helles Bock comes to mind. It needs to be lagered, and its otherwise a tasty beer that would work gfeeat about now.

I had a similar thought in mind when I brewed a dopplebock yesterday. Unfortunately, after two months of fermenting and lagering, it will be April first before I get a chance to tap the keg when it is done. As long as I get to enjoy it thoroughly before the coming apocalypse I guess :) .

what about a dunkelweizen?

completely forgot about a dunkel. seems like a great time of the year for one of those! whats a common taste like? dont believe i have ever tried a bock either. i have a good spot in my basement where i could keep temps from mid 40's to low 50's, not sure how much of a swing there is during the day though. wonder if that would work?

Dry stout would be another excellent choice. Low gravity, very sessionable. You could even make a black and whatever with that cream ale.

I like all of the choices you have already, and I think something totally different would be great. I'm not a wheat beer fan, so I was thinking of a good choice alongside the ones you have would be an English style beer. Mild, English pale ale (which is a GREAT beer style!), and ordinary bitter all are very flavorful with a distinctive "British" flavor due to the malt and hops, but are quaffable and low ABV. That's where I'd head!

Back