Any Recent BJCP exam takers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone around here has taken the exam recently.

I have one coming up Oct 26th and am starting to get nervous about it.

I have read plenty of hints and tips, but they all seem to be from 2006 and with revisions i am wondering if it has changed any.

any help is appreciated here

Thanks Ed. yeah i have downloaded and printed off everything i can get my hands on.

I guess im just trying to get that edge.

I will post the questions i can remember for all to use and study from as im sure they change from test to test.

You will have to wait 3 weeks though.

Well, I just took the exam yesterday.

I used everybit of the 3 hours alotted for it. The first 3 questions are very easy and took maybe 4 min to complete.

Then next 5 were brutal. When i was done though I felt that I had done a good job. There were a few questions where looking back I had a brain fart ie... when formulating a weizen recipe i put "70% two row and 30% wheat" hopefully they will notice that i knew the percentages but didnt slow down enough to notice i put the malts in the wrong percentages.

The toughest part for me was the desribe three of these beer styles............. and they are randomly chosen it would seem. That was on the exam 3 times ie... give an example and describe aroma, flavor, appearence, mouthfeel and a specific ingridient or history as well as similarities and differences and a comercial example of three top fermenting beers with a gravity less than 1.040.

The did the compare contrast 3 beer thing 3 times:drunk:

The large tecnical question for our group was over the Malting process. What are the steps and how to make certain malts. I think i nailed that one.

All in all a good test of my knowledge.

I am planning to take this sometime this winter. We have been doing a study group for the last few months trying beers and getting to know the styles. I look over the guidlines constantly, usually several times a day. I know my beers and have formulated recipes for at least half the styles out there.

Those all sound like the sort of questions I was expecting. But when you say they did the compare and contrast 3 beers three times, did that mean you had to do that for a total of 9 beers?

Yes, sort of.

Three beers >1.040 top fermenting were of my choice. I chose Berliner Weiss, Mild, and Scotish 60.

Three beers they chose for me to compare contrast were Brown Porter, Mild, and Southern English Brown.

Then there was compare 3 differnt German Beers I chose Berliner wiess, German Pils, and Bock.

Oh, thenthere was the famous brewing citys, what beer are they famous for and then compare contrast those beers. so I guess if you get lucky like me a few of the beers run into multiple categories. If you are unlucky you will have 12 different beers to compare and contrast.

Latest posts

Back