Any reason I shouldn't keg after 1 week if expected final gravity reached?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcpup

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi -

Brewed a Southern Brown ale and pitched yeast on 2/27. Kept wort betweem 64-66 deg (cool side of optimum range - used Wyeast 1968 with an 1800ml starter from stirplate).

OG: 1.047 (expected was 1.042...got better efficiency than anticipated)
Current Gravity: 1.011 (expected was 1.012)

Hydrometer sample tastes good, no off smells/flavors. Very clear.

I could really use the fermenter for a APA I'm about to brew. Any reason to let it stay on the yeast longer?

I'm thinking rack to keg. Thanks for your thoughts...

Yep, that would be fine. As long as you had a healthy fermentation and there isn't too much diacetyl or off flavors, racking as early as day 6-7 is not a problem for most English yeasts (1968 especially). I would however, recommend giving the beer a quick crash cool before racking to flocc out any yeast left in suspension and set the malt profile.

Yep, that would be fine. As long as you had a healthy fermentation and there isn't too much diacetyl or off flavors, racking as early as day 6-7 is not a problem for most English yeasts (1968 especially). I would however, recommend giving the beer a quick crash cool before racking to flocc out any yeast left in suspension and set the malt profile.

Thanks Bierhaus15! I'll crash cool - good idea.

Back