Any opinions on this Oberon clone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredhead

Reaction score
I saw this clone of Bell's Oberon on the BYO website.

http://byo.com/blogs/entry/bell-s-oberon-clone-woodberon

I'm thinking of brewing it. Any thoughts?

This is Christopher Woods Oberon clone recipe:

WoodBeron (Bell's Brewery Oberon clone) Recipe (5 gal/19 L)

OG: 1.057 IBU: 20.5 SRM: 4.7

5 lbs. (2.27 kg) pale 2-row
5 lbs. (2.27 kg) white wheat
0.5 lbs. (0.27 kg) crystal malt 20 °L
1.5 oz. (43 g) Hersbrucker (60 min.)
1.5 oz. (43 g) Hersbrucker (20 min.)
1 oz. (28 g) Saaz (5 min.)
1 oz. (28 g) Saaz (1 min.)
1 oz. (28 g) Saaz (dry hop for 5 days)
3 Tbl crusher coriander (5 min.) (optional, see above)

Mash at 153 °F (67 °C) for 60 minutes. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C) with a yeast starter made from a bottle of Bell's Oberon

*Apparently Bell's also adds extra sugar at bottling just to give the yeast a bit more food to produce the fruity and spicy character found in this beer.

I'd toss in some Munich. About 1 LB. Either add it to what you've already got or reduce the wheat and 2-row by .5 LB each.

I usually add .25 LB melanoiden malt to increase the maltiness. I like what it adds to the flavor, but it's totally optional.

Leave out the coriander.

I don't know about adding extra sugar at bottling to increase fruitiness and spiciness. You use the required sugar to get the vols of CO2 you are after. Use more and you'll overcarbonate. Instead, raise the ferment temp to around 73-74° and this yeast strain will give you some citrus beyond what the hops will contribute.

Was going to do it with s05 on account of having less than no access to bells beers. (I'm in the Middle East).

Still skip the coriander?

Also I heard some talk about adding Vienna, what think you?

I've always made my Oberon clone with Munich, but you can try Vienna. Vienna will impart some malty sweetness, just not as much as Munich will.

Yes, I'd leave out the coriander and let the hops give you the citrus notes. If you can get Wyeast 1272, that is very similar to Bells. If you use it, ferment it warm, 73-74°F. If you end up going with US-05, then ferment mid-60s.

Love me some Oberon and anything that comes from Bell's Brewery! Will have to make this for next summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

LLBeanJ thank you for the input. I'm in Israel with literal rockets overhead so i'm happy to have any yeast at all, its gonna have to be the s05. be well.

7oz of hops in an Oberon clone seems crazy to me, I'd do about 15-20ibus worth at 60 minutes and .5oz Saaz at 15 minutes. Ferment around 70-72 to get the citrusy flavor from the Bell's yeast and leave the spices out.

And side by side test says what?

My second attempt goes:
GRIST
6lbs American 2 row
4lbs American White Wheat
.5 Carapils
HOPS
.5 oz GR Hallertau at 60
.75 oz Czech Saaz at 30
.25 oz Czech Saaz at 15

Side by side to follow (this was brewed July 2nd. I'm still trying to perfect this recipe. The Munich mention above I think is worth a try as more maltiness is warranted I believe.

Back