Any NASCAR fans?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cronxitawney

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
134
Reaction score
3
Location
Germantown, MD
I am Jeff Gordon fan. I love going to see my Redskins play, but there is nothing that compares to going to a race. I usually try to make the June Dover race, but will not be going this year:(
 

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
71
Location
southern mass
cronxitawney said:
By better you mean they are participating in some races this year, right?:D

all 3 cars are in the top 35. not a bad place to be for the up coming weekend. martinsville is not a good track for waltrip or reutimann.
 

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
5,374
Reaction score
30
Location
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
bigjohnmilford said:
They (Waltrip racing) just don't seem to have the cup cars figured out as well yet.
What looks bad (to me) is that JGR basically stepped into Toyota and is running great, something Waltrip's camp hasn't been able to do after a year of practice with those cars. Probably more to do with the processes and knowledge that JGR has that could be applied to any platform than anything else. They have pretty decent drivers, too. ;)
 

devaspawn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
937
Reaction score
3
Location
Central VA
Baron von BeeGee said:
What looks bad (to me) is that JGR basically stepped into Toyota and is running great, something Waltrip's camp hasn't been able to do after a year of practice with those cars. Probably more to do with the processes and knowledge that JGR has that could be applied to any platform than anything else. They have pretty decent drivers, too. ;)
It's kinda nice when you have one of the top 3 active drivers, isn't it?!! :D

:tank:
 

reynaldo

New Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Well, I am a fan of nascar. I love watching it on tv. I wish I can see it live.
 

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
71
Location
southern mass
Baron von BeeGee said:
What looks bad (to me) is that JGR basically stepped into Toyota and is running great, something Waltrip's camp hasn't been able to do after a year of practice with those cars. Probably more to do with the processes and knowledge that JGR has that could be applied to any platform than anything else. They have pretty decent drivers, too. ;)

A friend of mine is a huge Tony fan and was ready to kill himself when they switched. I told him to relax. They were one of the best teams when they were the number 3 Chevy team. As soon as they switched they became the number 1 Toyota team. They had everything in place already and it wasn't the first time they had switched manufacturers. Gibbs is really showing what they are made of and Hendrick must be kicking himself for letting Kyle go. Mears will be lucky to make the race this weekend. Man I love racing. It's almost the weekend.

:mug:
 

cronxitawney

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
134
Reaction score
3
Location
Germantown, MD
bigjohnmilford said:
A friend of mine is a huge Tony fan and was ready to kill himself when they switched. I told him to relax. They were one of the best teams when they were the number 3 Chevy team. As soon as they switched they became the number 1 Toyota team. They had everything in place already and it wasn't the first time they had switched manufacturers. Gibbs is really showing what they are made of and Hendrick must be kicking himself for letting Kyle go. Mears will be lucky to make the race this weekend. Man I love racing. It's almost the weekend.

:mug:
Mears is within the top 35, so I believe he will be in the race. Given his awesome performances at Martinsville in the past, he has a good chance of being outside the top 35 on Monday.
 

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
71
Location
southern mass
cronxitawney said:
Mears is within the top 35, so I believe he will be in the race. Given his awesome performances at Martinsville in the past, he has a good chance of being outside the top 35 on Monday.

Sorry about that, you're correct. I must've been thinking of my other favorite crash and burn driver Jamie Mcmurray. He'll be out of that ride before the season is over.

:D
 

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
71
Location
southern mass
BierMuncher said:
Maybe HBT should sponsor a driver... :D

We just need about 9,000,000 members to pony up a buck each and we'd have a car for the year. Or go after one of the lesser teams for a single race. That would only cost 30 or 40 grand for a quarter panel spot. I've got my dollar ready. :D
 

devaspawn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
937
Reaction score
3
Location
Central VA
bigjohnmilford said:
A friend of mine is a huge Tony fan and was ready to kill himself when they switched. I told him to relax. They were one of the best teams when they were the number 3 Chevy team. As soon as they switched they became the number 1 Toyota team. They had everything in place already and it wasn't the first time they had switched manufacturers. Gibbs is really showing what they are made of and Hendrick must be kicking himself for letting Kyle go. Mears will be lucky to make the race this weekend. Man I love racing. It's almost the weekend.

:mug:
I was concerned at first as well until I remembered that essentially all these cars are the same. The difference being the money to buy the best parts and to hire the best guys, as well as the drivers. I agree, Hendrick can't be very happy. I am not a Jr. fan (although I liked the Intimidater) so I am happy to see that the only race he won this season had no points assigned to it!

:tank:
 

RICLARK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
14
Location
Grand Ledge, Mich
I think its funny that JR is the only Hendrick car that is doing anything which brings me to the question, Do you think JR is better that Gordon and that other #48 idiot??
 

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
71
Location
southern mass
RICLARK said:
I think its funny that JR is the only Hendrick car that is doing anything which brings me to the question, Do you think JR is better that Gordon and that other #48 idiot??

You can't even consider him in that class until he wins a title. I'm glad to see he's doing well though. He's got the talent and he's showing it. He should have a good shot this weekend. He's due for a win on a short track.
 

RICLARK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
14
Location
Grand Ledge, Mich
bigjohnmilford said:
You can't even consider him in that class until he wins a title. I'm glad to see he's doing well though. He's got the talent and he's showing it. He should have a good shot this weekend. He's due for a win on a short track.
I agree on the JR response, I call Hamlin to win sunday he has had some severe bad luck all season and has been itching to win at Martinsville ever since he got up here plus he runs good there.
 

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
5,374
Reaction score
30
Location
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
devaspawn said:
I was concerned at first as well until I remembered that essentially all these cars are the same. The difference being the money to buy the best parts and to hire the best guys, as well as the drivers. I agree, Hendrick can't be very happy. I am not a Jr. fan (although I liked the Intimidater) so I am happy to see that the only race he won this season had no points assigned to it!

:tank:
Well, one major difference is the engines. Apparently that was a weakness in the Toyota program last year, where they made hp, etc. JGR certainly has that aspect figured out, I'd say.

I like Jr, and I'm not so sure Rick Hendrick is kicking himself for letting Kyle Busch go. I don't know of a single driver in any the 3 series who has more potential upside than Busch, but I'd say it's just upside for the moment (yes, I know where he is in the standings of all 3 series ;) ). Going balls to the wall and either winning or trashing the equipment is awesome to watch, but I'll reserve judgement until the final standings on how well it translates into championships.

Regardless, Busch's appeal will be to some defined segment of the fanbase (granted, it will grow if he continues to win), while Jr. absolutely rakes in the cash day in and day out for HMS as the #1 most popular driver whether Jr. actually wins a race or not. I think Hendrick was exchanging tomorrow's promise for today's payday, and Jr. in HMS equipment certainly has some undeniable upside as well, as also evidenced by the points.
 

Laurel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2008
Messages
1,499
Reaction score
13
Location
Seattle, WA
I'm not a NASCAR fan, I've tried to enjoy it, but I just can't. I do, however, follow Formula 1. Does anyone else follow?
 

abbeyroadhelp

Active Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Location
Slater Missouri
Big fan of nascar, well racing in general Nhra and local dirt track racing. Actually got to go to Bristol acouple weeks back was my second race, I have also been to kansas speedway. Go Carl Edwards.
 

Indybrew

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I quit watching Nacar when they started the race for the chase. I mean does racing really need playoffs? Its not like its a real sport, like football. Swmbo still loves to watch it.
 

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
71
Location
southern mass
RICLARK said:
I agree on the JR response, I call Hamlin to win sunday he has had some severe bad luck all season and has been itching to win at Martinsville ever since he got up here plus he runs good there.

nice call

:mug:
 
OP
BierMuncher

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
12,443
Reaction score
929
Location
St. Louis, MO
I was pulling for Reutimann to do DJ the honor of placing in the top-5 with #44.

Too bad he drug his nuts on the ground and melted his gear box.
 

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
5,374
Reaction score
30
Location
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
I was pulling for Jr, but when his car started fading I switched to Hamlin. He's not my favorite driver by far, but it was good to see him win in VA. He also runs down here on our local short track for their Thanksgiving weekend race, or at least he has the last several years.
 

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
71
Location
southern mass
RICLARK said:
Thank you, I think jr will pretty much dominate at texas next week.

He does know how to get around there. I do beleive that's where he got his first win. I think the 18 will have a good shot. He won Atlanta so I think he'll have another good run at Texas. I can hardly wait a couple of more weeks for Dega.
 

RICLARK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
14
Location
Grand Ledge, Mich
bigjohnmilford said:
He does know how to get around there. I do beleive that's where he got his first win. I think the 18 will have a good shot. He won Atlanta so I think he'll have another good run at Texas. I can hardly wait a couple of more weeks for Dega.
I forgot Dega was the week after Texas. I could see JR going back to back. When is Richmond? I can see him winning there as well.
 

RICLARK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
14
Location
Grand Ledge, Mich
~Smoke~ Hasn't won in a while and he can win on any track so He is a good possibility as well.
 

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
71
Location
southern mass
RICLARK said:
~Smoke~ Hasn't won in a while and he can win on any track so He is a good possibility as well.
He was second at Atlanta and had a strong car. I do expect to see some of the usual suspects running up front. I can see the RCR cars running well too.
 

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
71
Location
southern mass
Baron von BeeGee said:
This has really been an interesting year so far, with a lot of parity between the (major) teams and the mfrs.
+1 it's nice not to see a chevy in victory lane every race.

:mug:
 

RICLARK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
14
Location
Grand Ledge, Mich
When we went to the two races here last year, Most of the crowd booed when a Toyota Driver was announced during intros. Even though we are the home of the Big 3 it was still pretty classless on our part.
 

imasickboy

Drinkasaurus extraordinarius
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
2,355
Reaction score
2,133
Location
Landisville
I can't remember when I've last seen a wreck that bad. He'll be sore today.
 

Emanresu

Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
yeah, watched that wreck live on tv, that was something else. it blows my mind watching it that someone was actually in there flipping around like that, think he kept his eyes open?
 
OP
BierMuncher

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
12,443
Reaction score
929
Location
St. Louis, MO
Emanresu said:
yeah, watched that wreck live on tv, that was something else. it blows my mind watching it that someone was actually in there flipping around like that, think he kept his eyes open?
I imagine he was just thinking to himself..."so this is what it's like to die..."
 
Top