Any NASCAR fans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am Jeff Gordon fan. I love going to see my Redskins play, but there is nothing that compares to going to a race. I usually try to make the June Dover race, but will not be going this year:(

cronxitawney said:
By better you mean they are participating in some races this year, right?:D

all 3 cars are in the top 35. not a bad place to be for the up coming weekend. martinsville is not a good track for waltrip or reutimann.

bigjohnmilford said:
They (Waltrip racing) just don't seem to have the cup cars figured out as well yet.
What looks bad (to me) is that JGR basically stepped into Toyota and is running great, something Waltrip's camp hasn't been able to do after a year of practice with those cars. Probably more to do with the processes and knowledge that JGR has that could be applied to any platform than anything else. They have pretty decent drivers, too. ;)

Baron von BeeGee said:
What looks bad (to me) is that JGR basically stepped into Toyota and is running great, something Waltrip's camp hasn't been able to do after a year of practice with those cars. Probably more to do with the processes and knowledge that JGR has that could be applied to any platform than anything else. They have pretty decent drivers, too. ;)

It's kinda nice when you have one of the top 3 active drivers, isn't it?!! :D

:tank:

Baron von BeeGee said:

A friend of mine is a huge Tony fan and was ready to kill himself when they switched. I told him to relax. They were one of the best teams when they were the number 3 Chevy team. As soon as they switched they became the number 1 Toyota team. They had everything in place already and it wasn't the first time they had switched manufacturers. Gibbs is really showing what they are made of and Hendrick must be kicking himself for letting Kyle go. Mears will be lucky to make the race this weekend. Man I love racing. It's almost the weekend.

:mug:

bigjohnmilford said:
A friend of mine is a huge Tony fan and was ready to kill himself when they switched. I told him to relax. They were one of the best teams when they were the number 3 Chevy team. As soon as they switched they became the number 1 Toyota team. They had everything in place already and it wasn't the first time they had switched manufacturers. Gibbs is really showing what they are made of and Hendrick must be kicking himself for letting Kyle go. Mears will be lucky to make the race this weekend. Man I love racing. It's almost the weekend.

Mears is within the top 35, so I believe he will be in the race. Given his awesome performances at Martinsville in the past, he has a good chance of being outside the top 35 on Monday.

cronxitawney said:
Mears is within the top 35, so I believe he will be in the race. Given his awesome performances at Martinsville in the past, he has a good chance of being outside the top 35 on Monday.

Sorry about that, you're correct. I must've been thinking of my other favorite crash and burn driver Jamie Mcmurray. He'll be out of that ride before the season is over.

:D

BierMuncher said:
Maybe HBT should sponsor a driver... :D

We just need about 9,000,000 members to pony up a buck each and we'd have a car for the year. Or go after one of the lesser teams for a single race. That would only cost 30 or 40 grand for a quarter panel spot. I've got my dollar ready. :D

bigjohnmilford said:

I was concerned at first as well until I remembered that essentially all these cars are the same. The difference being the money to buy the best parts and to hire the best guys, as well as the drivers. I agree, Hendrick can't be very happy. I am not a Jr. fan (although I liked the Intimidater) so I am happy to see that the only race he won this season had no points assigned to it!

I think its funny that JR is the only Hendrick car that is doing anything which brings me to the question, Do you think JR is better that Gordon and that other #48 idiot??

RICLARK said:
I think its funny that JR is the only Hendrick car that is doing anything which brings me to the question, Do you think JR is better that Gordon and that other #48 idiot??

You can't even consider him in that class until he wins a title. I'm glad to see he's doing well though. He's got the talent and he's showing it. He should have a good shot this weekend. He's due for a win on a short track.

bigjohnmilford said:
You can't even consider him in that class until he wins a title. I'm glad to see he's doing well though. He's got the talent and he's showing it. He should have a good shot this weekend. He's due for a win on a short track.

I agree on the JR response, I call Hamlin to win sunday he has had some severe bad luck all season and has been itching to win at Martinsville ever since he got up here plus he runs good there.

devaspawn said:
I was concerned at first as well until I remembered that essentially all these cars are the same. The difference being the money to buy the best parts and to hire the best guys, as well as the drivers. I agree, Hendrick can't be very happy. I am not a Jr. fan (although I liked the Intimidater) so I am happy to see that the only race he won this season had no points assigned to it!

Well, one major difference is the engines. Apparently that was a weakness in the Toyota program last year, where they made hp, etc. JGR certainly has that aspect figured out, I'd say.

I like Jr, and I'm not so sure Rick Hendrick is kicking himself for letting Kyle Busch go. I don't know of a single driver in any the 3 series who has more potential upside than Busch, but I'd say it's just upside for the moment (yes, I know where he is in the standings of all 3 series ;) ). Going balls to the wall and either winning or trashing the equipment is awesome to watch, but I'll reserve judgement until the final standings on how well it translates into championships.

Regardless, Busch's appeal will be to some defined segment of the fanbase (granted, it will grow if he continues to win), while Jr. absolutely rakes in the cash day in and day out for HMS as the #1 most popular driver whether Jr. actually wins a race or not. I think Hendrick was exchanging tomorrow's promise for today's payday, and Jr. in HMS equipment certainly has some undeniable upside as well, as also evidenced by the points.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, I've tried to enjoy it, but I just can't. I do, however, follow Formula 1. Does anyone else follow?

Big fan of nascar, well racing in general Nhra and local dirt track racing. Actually got to go to Bristol acouple weeks back was my second race, I have also been to kansas speedway. Go Carl Edwards.

I quit watching Nacar when they started the race for the chase. I mean does racing really need playoffs? Its not like its a real sport, like football. Swmbo still loves to watch it.

RICLARK said:
I agree on the JR response, I call Hamlin to win sunday he has had some severe bad luck all season and has been itching to win at Martinsville ever since he got up here plus he runs good there.

nice call

I was pulling for Jr, but when his car started fading I switched to Hamlin. He's not my favorite driver by far, but it was good to see him win in VA. He also runs down here on our local short track for their Thanksgiving weekend race, or at least he has the last several years.

RICLARK said:
Thank you, I think jr will pretty much dominate at texas next week.

He does know how to get around there. I do beleive that's where he got his first win. I think the 18 will have a good shot. He won Atlanta so I think he'll have another good run at Texas. I can hardly wait a couple of more weeks for Dega.

bigjohnmilford said:
He does know how to get around there. I do beleive that's where he got his first win. I think the 18 will have a good shot. He won Atlanta so I think he'll have another good run at Texas. I can hardly wait a couple of more weeks for Dega.

I forgot Dega was the week after Texas. I could see JR going back to back. When is Richmond? I can see him winning there as well.

RICLARK said:
~Smoke~ Hasn't won in a while and he can win on any track so He is a good possibility as well.

He was second at Atlanta and had a strong car. I do expect to see some of the usual suspects running up front. I can see the RCR cars running well too.

When we went to the two races here last year, Most of the crowd booed when a Toyota Driver was announced during intros. Even though we are the home of the Big 3 it was still pretty classless on our part.

yeah, watched that wreck live on tv, that was something else. it blows my mind watching it that someone was actually in there flipping around like that, think he kept his eyes open?

Emanresu said:
yeah, watched that wreck live on tv, that was something else. it blows my mind watching it that someone was actually in there flipping around like that, think he kept his eyes open?
I imagine he was just thinking to himself..."so this is what it's like to die..."

Back