Any kind of yeast that likes yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
ANY KIND OF YEAST THAT LIKES HEAT?
[couldnt figure out how to edit the subject line or delete the whole thing and start again]

My 1st batch is about to be bottled and I want to pick recipe #2. It's been really cool in NC and my primary has stayed at 65-67 without any effort on my part. All of a sudden things are heating up and 70-73 will be the new normal for my fermentation location. Is there any yeast or style of beer that does well in this range?

My space is very tight and severely limits my MacGuyver cooling options.

Should my current Belgian wheat spend less time in bottles before moving to the fridge?

most belgian and saison yeasts do well in heat (some recipes even require it).

for cooling, search for "swamp cooler" on this forum. use the search function at the top right corner of the page, inside the beer mug.

70-73 is just fine for bottle conditioning. it will still take 2-3 weeks. crack one open after 2, if it's sufficiently carbed for you then you're done.

Get a container you can sit your fermenter in. A bathtub is great, but just something that can hold water and deep enough to cover 3/4 of the fermenter. On the really hot days give it a hand full of ice. Just try not to cool to fast, all you are doing with the water is keeping the the temperatures from swinging quickly. US-05 I have done @ 70-73 it turned out ok. This is my go-to yeast though.

Swamp cooler is what I was thinking of when I referenced MacGuyver techniques.

I LOVE Belgian ales - especially strong lights and Tripels. And strong darks.

I don't have room for a container to set the fermenter in. Nor do I have a spare bathtub.

I ferment most of my Belgians starting in the mid 60's, then letting them ramp up to the mid 70's over time. Sounds like your fermentation room will be perfect for that if you use a water bath that's kept somewhat cool for the first few days (even then, I'm sure you'll get great beer if it's kept at a constant ~70*F). I just start with the wort and water bath temp at pitching temps, let it ferment at that for 2-3 days, move it out of the water bath, let it sit and raise temps for a day or two, then move it to a heated closet to finish fermenting. The water bath helps keep temps from spiking and the yeast pushing out large amounts of higher alcohols.

For saisons, I pitch mid-70's and wrap it up in a comforter and let it run wild. I measured the wort temp one time mid-ferment at 88*F, and it turned out wonderfully.

I don't have room for a container to set the fermenter in. Nor do I have a spare bathtub.

You can use one of those 20 gallon tubs that you can find just about anywhere. Maybe a total of 10" wider than a 6.5 gallon bucket and $10 tops out the door of wherever you buy it.

I'm not even sure I can come up with room for the 20 gallon tub but I'll measure. I'm squeezing into a corner of the pantry and don't have a lot of options. It just one more reason I wish I had a basement.

Any container slightly larger than your fermenter so water can be put in it will work.

swamp-cooler-side.JPG

brewcloset1.jpg

06062010451.jpg

blog_attachment.php

You just gotta be creative. I lived in a loft and as you can see in the second pic, which was mine, I could get two in the cooler.

Back