Any interest in going in on an order of leaf UK Goldings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I'm communicating with a supplier over in the UK to get some leaf Goldings. Looks like I'd need to order 22# to make it viable. Since it's unobtainium right now (in the US at least) I'm seriously looking to do this. But it would take me more than a while to go through 22# of UK Goldings (any shape).

So, is anyone here interested in a part of such an order? If I can get enough interest in others to split this up, I'll do it. I have a vacuum sealer, so any portions pulled off from the main would get vacuum packed. I wouldn't want to make a ton of small bags worth. Probably 4oz increments (at a minimum) would work. Or multiples of 4 (such as 4oz bag, 8oz bag, etc.).

While I would prefer this to be a 'local' effort, I'm not opposed to shipping to other parts of the US. It would be via USPS flat rate box, and buyer would need to pay for that part. Before anyone asks, I don't have a PP or Venmo account. So any digital payment would be via Zelle. USPS money orders will be accepted easily. Personal checks would need to fully clear before you're considered 'paid'. Most likely I wouldn't want any funds until the hops are here and such.

If there's enough interest in this, it will help with the order. If there's enough interest to order even more than the 22#, that's an option too.

Last edited:
This is NOT EKG, but UK Goldings (found out this morning).
Looks like end cost, per pound, would be $13.
I'm trying to find the characteristic information for both to compare. I've always used EKG in by brews. So I need to find out what the difference would be. Most of the info I'm finding lumps all Goldings from the UK together. :(

Just asking, why go through all the trouble to get whole leaf hops? I always use pellets unless its my homegrown hops. Any leaf hops you get now are going to be last year's harvest, so I'm wondering if there will be any benefit to getting them shipped in.

I like leaf hop for dry hopping my beers. When dry hopping in keg, I've had better results with leaf compared with pellet. Plus I can use it in the boil equally well. I would be storing mine in a chest freezer, vacuum packed (broken into sizes that make most sense). So longer term storage won't be an issue.

These are also 2020 harvest hops.

Still thinking about this. It would be easier if I had enough other people willing to take a decent amount of the order. Also checking to see how long these would remain good if stored in vacuum packed bags in a chest freezer. IF I can get a long enough time frame, I might just order anyway and keep what no one else wants. Eventually I'll use them up. Or at least that's the plan.

This places sell direct to homebrewers and ships to the US. Did not do the math but guessing this is more expensive than the bulk price.
HomeBrew Hops - Stocks Farm
When picking the larger size (500g), they're out of stock. If I'm getting these, the smallest amount I'd get is a full (or healthy) pound. I'd actually like to get at least a few pounds and have a supplier that I can get more from reliably.

I did check and I have 3-1/2# left of the pellet EKG I got last year. I had bought a total of 6# of pellet EKG starting early last year. Even counting whirlpooling now, I expect to go through at least what I have left before end of year. Especially with wanting to dry hop in conical post fermentation (and after dropping the yeast) and before carbonating in conical.

I also asked the other source (that I was communicating with already) about any shipments they're making to Yakima to see if any leaf Goldings is going to them. If it is, then I'll be reaching out to see about reserving at least a few pounds for when they arrive.

I have a few pale ales on deck that will do well with these.

Got a reply for storage length of these under vacuum packed and freezer storage conditions. Easily last 12-18 months with just a minor drop in AA%. So really just need enough interest (from others) so that I'm not left with 20+ pounds of hops filling my chest freezer.

Back