Any guitar amp experts here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
amp.jpg

My friend gave me his amp (Line 6 Spider II HD head with the Spider II cab…4x12 Stereo speakers on a slant) for free (yaaa!!!!) but it comes with a problem. The head doesn’t work. While I’m great with fixing guitars, amps are out of my league. He said it was the power supply unit that needed to be replaced and said that would run $200. When asked in depth about it, the more and more vague about what was really wrong or how he knew it was the power supply unit.

When plugged in, it doesn’t even turn on (man I wish I had a voltmeter for things like this). When I get home I’m going to check the fuse and make sure it’s still good.

Where should I take this in to get looked at? Sam Ash? I don’t know if I would trust a large company trouble shooting this and would rather go local but if everyone thinks that what I should do…so be it.

If it’s going to cost me $200 to fix do you think it’s worth it? You can buy them new for $400. I have a Spider Line 6 1 Series 30 watt amp and I kinda despise it. Now granted, this is a new series and I may actually enjoy it.

Is it worth it? Do the sound good? I stopped caring about amps the day I bought my AC-30.:D That was it for me. If it were me, I'd take it apart. You can probably figure out what's wrong with it. A multi-meter doesn't cost much money. It could be something as simple as resoldering a wire that came loose. Or you might find it's not worth the cost to fix it. I wouldn't take it to Sam Ash or Guitar Center... they'll rape you.

I'd take it apart, start with simple power delivery stuff like you were mentioning, fuse, power cord, power supply. It was free, and not in working condition, so if you screw it up, oh well.

With amps, it's often just a fuse or power cord.

Well, I would try and fix it, not a big fan a digital effect, especially ones with efffect incorporated right in the amp ..... but for $200 bucks I would give it a try?? I think Sam Ash is a licensed Line 6 dealer, so they should be able to fix it, but they may send it out to Line6 to have it looked at.

If you trash the head, at least you have a cab, you could always use your combo to drive it ....

I'd peek inside. Is it a tube amp? If it's tube, you should not have any problems finding someone to fix it. Solid State amps are a bit more difficult to diagnose. Def. check the fuses, and capacitors (see if the tops are bulging, or split open. Check for burn marks or burnt smell, loose wires, etc.

It sounds like the guy has already troubleshooted it, but you might find he was wrong. Sometimes people assume they know what is wrong and then I find out later that it was something simple, which only made it seem like the expensive component was bad.

I just went amp shopping on craigslist and would be very weary of buying a cheap amp that has had $200 worth of work done on it. Especially if its not a very expensive good quality amp in the first place. If it really costs that much to fix I'd doubt you'd make any money on the deal. I'd just sell it as is for like $50. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

I would shop the power supply as well if that is the problem.

I guess this may be obvious, but in the food world they charge insane prices for things like motors on food processor that you can match numbers off the side and buy at Grainger for 10% of the food price.

If it is free and you have it, why not take it a part and take a peek?

I'd take it apart, start with simple power delivery stuff like you were mentioning, fuse, power cord, power supply. It was free, and not in working condition, so if you screw it up, oh well.

With amps, it's often just a fuse or power cord.

+1

It *could* be some rotten tubes as well. But, power and fuse are #1 and #2

I'd peek inside. Is it a tube amp? If it's tube, you should not have any problems finding someone to fix it. Solid State amps are a bit more difficult to diagnose.

+1

It *could* be some rotten tubes as well. But, power and fuse are #1 and #2

The Spider II head is all solid state, no tubes at all and driving by some mediocre DSPs pointed more towards heavy distortion than anything really clean.

You'll need to pick up a volt meter and get tracing. I'd also look for some black marks on the PCB that could indicated where it shorted. Unfortunately, if it is the computer or DSPs you're pretty much out of luck.

The cab does have Celestion designed speakers in it so it *should* be fairly decent. Instead of $400 for another Spider head you could get the 15W All Tube Blackheart Handsome Devil for around $350 and have something that will crank and still sound good with clean tones.

Or go Orange...
love.gif

Unless you only like metal, then get the Spider head. *blah*

The Spider II head is all solid state, no tubes at all and driving by some mediocre DSPs pointed more towards heavy distortion than anything really clean.

You'll need to pick up a volt meter and get tracing. I'd also look for some black marks on the PCB that could indicated where it shorted. Unfortunately, if it is the computer or DSPs you're pretty much out of luck.

The cab does have Celestion designed speakers in it so it *should* be fairly decent. Instead of $400 for another Spider head you could get the 15W Blackheart Handsome Devil for around $350 and have something that will crank and still sound good with clean tones.

Or go Orange...
love.gif

My bad, I thought Line 6 had some pre tubes...but I guess that's more of a bass amp thing...tube pres with solidsate power section.

Good point about the computer, if it's fried, no dice.

My bad, I thought Line 6 had some pre tubes...but I guess that's more of a bass amp thing...tube pres with solidsate power section.

Good point about the computer, if it's fried, no dice.

The newer Spider Valve heads have a power tube section. AFAIK, all the Line 6 Spider amps use DSPs for the pre and and the Valve series uses the DSPs for amp modeling and effects and then dumps it to 12AX7 pre tubes.

Takes the POD off the floor and puts it into the amp on your input which then dumps to the pre/power tube section.

Go over to diyaudio.com and post your question. The crowd can be a little unwelcoming to newbies, but someone is bound to help you out. Be careful about poking around in the power supply until you figure out how to discharge the capacitors, they can still carry a pretty good punch. If you can get a schematic and wiring diagram, that will help a LOT.

If after you've opened up the amp and not found the big, green, neon arrow pointing to the problem and reading "PROBLEM IS HERE" :D, I would check around your area to find someone who works on guitar amps, but not Sam Ash/Guitar Center/et al. Guitar players in your area should know of 'shadetree' amp repair guys. They should be able to diagnose (and possibly repair) it for a small bench fee.

I modify and build tube amps and built a few pedals and repaired a few SS items for my band but I don't really know my way around SS amps. Needless to say, it sounds like a power supply problem.

I'd be surprised if those Celestions are worth much. Celestion is good name but they make everything from high-end guitar amp speakers to cheap junk for OEM. Just the speakers in most good 4x12 cabs are just under $400 and can run way more.

Great advice everyone! Still haven't poaked around the amp head yet, been busy with brewery work this week and at my other job.

I checked with Sam Ash, $150 to send it out to Line 6 to get it diagnosed. BAH!

Called up a local guy that is autherised by Line 6 for repair work...$40 to find the problem and give me an estimate. PERFECT! This project is on the back burner right now though, my kegerator needs to be made first. ;)

Or go Orange...
love.gif

Seconded. My guitarist has a 1972 orange 2x12 120w (I think 120 british watts is more? is it double?) combo, he put some sort of super clean PA speakers in it, still gets speaker distortion. I can't describe how loud it is.

It started making "ocean" noises, and it has started to randomly short itself out. Not looking forward to the repair bills on that one.

+1 on checking to see if it is getting power (eg, fuse, cord, etc.). You mentioned that you're comfortable working on guitar electronics, so it's not a huge stretch to work on an amp (with appropriate safety precautions). You didn't mention what kind of music you play, but I agree with the previous posters that were touting tube amps. Nonetheless, it was a score to get the amp for free!

+1 on checking to see if it is getting power (eg, fuse, cord, etc.). You mentioned that you're comfortable working on guitar electronics, so it's not a huge stretch to work on an amp (with appropriate safety precautions). You didn't mention what kind of music you play, but I agree with the previous posters that were touting tube amps. Nonetheless, it was a score to get the amp for free!

I play noise music, rock and roll, heavy metal, blues. ;)

Would definitly love a tube amp.

With your interests, I say keep it.

You will get it working, and if it is extra by that point you can experiment with it.;)

OFF TOPIC

Are your hops sending up shoots?????

Mine are:(

I don't want them to waste energy when we have 3 months to go.

They are on the south side of the house, 1 ft from the foundation. I figure they think it is april.

With your interests, I say keep it.

You will get it working, and if it is extra by that point you can experiment with it.;)

OFF TOPIC

Are your hops sending up shoots?????

Mine are:(

I don't want them to waste energy when we have 3 months to go.

They are on the south side of the house, 1 ft from the foundation. I figure they think it is april.

I haven't looked at them but maybe with the warm weather they might be. Cut them off. There's no harm in that and it prompts stronger bines to appear. It's a month or two before they should be showing up so slap them and cut them back.

I play noise music, rock and roll, heavy metal, blues. ;)

Would definitly love a tube amp.
Learn to homebrew tube amps!:rockin: You can start with kits and go from there, just like homebrewing beer.

Here the latest amp I built (it's a Soldano SLO clone, I like my Bogner Ecstasy clone better but it ain't as pretty). I still don't have a cabinet for it.

SloTopFront.jpg

SloGutR.jpg

Consider it done.
Just checked, nothing popping out on my end yet.

Learn to homebrew tube amps!:rockin: You can start with kits and go from there, just like homebrewing beer.

Here the latest amp I built (it's a Soldano SLO clone, I like my Bogner Ecstasy clone better but it ain't as pretty). I still don't have a cabinet for it.
DUDE!!!! Nicely done!!!! :mug:

DIY audio is the way to go. I built a set of stereo speakers that would easily cost $7000 for under $2000, and a digital-analog converter for $75 that rivals my neighbor's $500 one. I'll be doing a preamp and monoblocks soon too.

SpanishCastle dude, that amp is lookin' mighty bad man, mighty bad. As far as fixing the heads on these amps it could be the power supply but also if it is easy to open you can check for a lose or broken wire. I have an old Peavey bass amp and it shakes apart every now and then. Is it worth fixing your amp? I'd say yeah, you got it for free and if someone would diagnose it for say $50 and you could fix it for another 50 why not? Check for lose wires though :) Vibration~~~~~~~~~~

SpanishCastleAle (great name BTW)-
Beautiful amp you built! I have been curious about learning to DIY tube amps in the past but never looked closely into it. Any suggestions on how to edumacate myself?

Thanks for the compliments on the amp.

The site mmb posted is good. Somebody asked about the Weber kits and they are OK but I'd prob go with Ceriatone. Metropoulos Amps is good if you're a Marshall nut. Start with a simple amp and go from there. Usually these amp kit sites have a forum where you can get help if you run into trouble.

I do my amps 'all-grain':D; pretty much 'build from scratch' amps. I design the layout, cut that green Garolite with a dremel, drill the eyelets with a hand drill, stake the eyelets with a hammer, you get the idea.

Here's a 30W Rocket clone (very much like the Treble-Boost channel of an AC30). This would be a good starter amp (single channel, no FX loop, no master volume):

RocketFullFrontal.jpg

Here's a 50W Dumble ODS clone built in a Fender Bandmaster chassis (I think I got the chassis from Weber). This would NOT be a good starter amp (high gain, channel switching, FX loop, dual master volumes, etc.):

ODSgutshot3.jpg

ODSgutshot1.jpg

That's the best channel on the AC-30! Does the Rocket sound very similar the AC-30? Is it Class A?
Yes it sounds very similar to the Top Boost channel, it's a great amp. That one I built has a 'Woden' clone output transformer (Woden was the brand of one of the old output trannies in AC30s).

The 'Class A' thing is a hot topic of debate (sort of). Truth is, the AC30 is NOT class A. It's cathode-biased and it's usually run hot but it's still a class AB amp. Generally speaking, the only true class A guitar amps are the ones that only have one power tube. But lots of class AB amps are advertised/sold as class A amps even though they're not. Doesn't matter, good tone is good tone.:rockin:

Back