Any details about this process to only run a starter for 4 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedYellow

Reaction score
I heard somewhere about what may be a commercial process to only run your starter for like 4 hours and then pitch. Presumably the idea is to let the yeast multiply but then get them into the wort just when they're ready to go?

Is there some merit to this? Any scientific literature or studies?

I'm intrigued because I brew mostly lagers and have found the standard process (big starter, cold crash, decant, pitch) to be a PITA and inconsistent. Perhaps there's a better way.

Thanks! So the big remaining question is: How much can we underpitch, yet still get away with a healthy fermentation? For us lager brewers, making a 4-hour 2L starter would be FAR preferable to a 5L or two-stage starter, literally taking several days. I definitely plan to try it.

There's a pretty lengthy thread about it over at the AHA forum. I think Marshall (Brulosophy) got the idea for the experiment over there from Mark (S. Cerevisiae). Some good info about it there. I haven't tried it yet either, but it seems like a really good idea. Perhaps I'll try it tomorrow for the dunkelweizen I'm brewing...

Latest posts

Back