Any Advice on Piecemealing a BIAB Setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hopper

Reaction score
I think I’m sold on the BIAB method and want to upgrade from a simple stove stop extract setup to a simple, reliable, and relatively inexpensive BIAB setup.

I feel like the perfect kettle is the best place to start. I highly doubt I will ever want to brew anything more than 5 gallons. I see from other threads most of you recommend a 15-gallon kettle. Are there any recommendations for the perfect brand or other things I should be looking for?

I assume a burner is straight forward and even the cheapest one will work? Any recommendations or things I should be looking for?

What about the immersion chiller? Is it enough to get one of the pre-made models? Do I need to be concerned of how it fits into the kettle? I assume copper is better than steel? Should I just get the kettle and make my own chiller to fit?

What about the bag? I’m experimenting with a generic 24” x 24” mesh bag, but should I invest in a customer made bag or get something larger?

Finally, is there any other equipment that I should be considering?

Thanks for your input and advice!

I see from other threads most of you recommend a 15-gallon kettle. Are there any recommendations for the perfect brand or other things I should be looking for? - Tri clad bottom for BIAB so your bag does not get scorched if you have to add heat

I assume a burner is straight forward and even the cheapest one will work? Any recommendations or things I should be looking for? - I am not fond of my Edelmetal brew burner I would avoid that one

What about the immersion chiller? Is it enough to get one of the pre-made models? Do I need to be concerned of how it fits into the kettle? I assume copper is better than steel? Should I just get the kettle and make my own chiller to fit? - The pre made ones are nice and yes copper is better at transferring temps

What about the bag? I’m experimenting with a generic 24” x 24” mesh bag, but should I invest in a customer made bag or get something larger? - The pre made ones are nice and the Wilser bags are very popular on here

Finally, is there any other equipment that I should be considering? - A ratchet pulley

Good luck

... want to upgrade from a simple stove stop extract setup to a simple, reliable, and relatively inexpensive BIAB setup....

There's nothing wrong with extract brewing, but you are going to love the taste of fresh all grain beer. I think you're also going to enjoy the BIAB process. It's a great way to brew, and you are wise in your desire to create a simple and reliable rig. That's all you need to make great beer.

...kettle is the best place to start. I highly doubt I will ever want to brew anything more than 5 gallons.... most of you recommend a 15-gallon kettle. Are there any recommendations for the perfect brand or other things I should be looking for?...

I started with a 15gal kettle, and it's one of the best decisions I've made. I've never had a boil over, and I've never had to use foam reducing additives or a spray bottle to fend off a boil over. I've only done 5 gallon batches in it, but if I want to do a bigger batch I have the capacity. So 15gal is a very solid decision.

Get a kettle with a drain valve, or install one yourself. It's just a great thing to have, and well worth its expense. Don't get a kettle with a thermometer. The thermowell/probe extends into the kettle, and can tear your bag unless you always remember to take measures to avoid that. Being human, you won't always remember. Make sure you check out brewhardware.com for your hardware needs. I've had nothing but good experiences dealing with them. I added a brewhardware bulkhead/valve to my kettle, and it has never given me a problem.

Most any 15gal kettle will work, including aluminum kettles (boil water in aluminum before using to brew, to build up a protective layer on the aluminum). Stainless steel is generally considered better, and you can find good deals on a simple stainless kettle from several sources. Shop around.

I assume a burner is straight forward and even the cheapest one will work? Any recommendations or things I should be looking for?

You are correct that even a cheap one can be made to work. I started with a Bayou Classic SP10, an inexpensive burner that came with the kettle I bought. It did work, but man was it annoyingly loud.

I switched to a Bayou Classic KAB4, and I have been very happy with it. It gives even heating (as opposed to the concentrated jet of the SP10), high heat output, and it is quiet as a mouse.

I built a platform for it, to raise it up to a level where I could drain from the kettle directly into my fermenter, taking advantage of the drain valve in my kettle (and eliminating the need to siphon).

What about the immersion chiller? Is it enough to get one of the pre-made models? Do I need to be concerned of how it fits into the kettle? I assume copper is better than steel? Should I just get the kettle and make my own chiller to fit?

It seems like you have already settled on an immersion chiller, as opposed to a plate or counterflow chiller. I think that's a solid decision. Immersion chillers are super easy to clean, because you only need to clean the outside, and the outside gets sanitized anyway when you immerse it into boiling wort. Plate chillers are notorious for building up difficult to clean crud inside them.

Copper will give you better heat transfer. I made my own "ribcage" copper immersion chiller to fit my kettle, and it works great. Whether you buy or make, shoot for 50' (or more) of coil in contact with the wort.

What about the bag? I’m experimenting with a generic 24” x 24” mesh bag, but should I invest in a customer made bag or get something larger?

I had a bag custom made for my kettle by Wilser. It's a high quality product for a very reasonable price, made of fine weave Swiss voile, and it was shipped without delay. I highly recommend a Wilser bag.

You'll see other bag brands that use webbing straps. The straps are actually not desirable. They're not needed for hoisting the bag, because the best way to attach a bag for hoisting is to use a loop of small diameter cord to make a prusik hitch around the bag just above the grains. That way your attachment point is lower. Webbing straps would put your attachment point way up high after hoisting, making it difficult to reach.

An overhead anchor point for hoisting your bag after the mash is one of the best upgrades you can make to a BIAB rig. Just hoist the bag, tie it off, and let it drain into the kettle during the entire boil. That way there's no need to squeeze the bag, and by the time you need to dispose of the grains the bag is lightweight and cool. Wilser sells a ratcheting pulley setup that works great, and is well worth its price.

You can start out with store milled grains, but as soon as possible get your own grain mill. Stores typically grind coarse, so people using traditional mash tuns don't get stuck sparges. But BIAB doesn't have that limitation, so grains can be ground much finer, which helps with efficiency. The best value on the market is a Cereal Killer, driven with a HF geared drill. A mill gap setting of .025" works very well for BIAB.

I use a kids sleeping bag to insulate during the mash. It pulls down far enough to also enclose the burner. I typically stay within 1 deg for an hour long mash.

I love my ChefAlarm thermometer, it's all the automation I need. The remote probe design is great, I can start heating water and go do something else, like grind grain. It will beep me when the water is ready. It has a timer which I use for monitoring mash and boil times, and it has hi/low temp alarms to let me know if temps get out of range during the mash. Its weakness is that the wire to probe junction cannot get wet, I fixed that by encasing it in some high temp heat shrink tubing.

You are welcome. Post back here to let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
I think I’m sold on the BIAB method and want to upgrade from a simple stove stop extract setup to a simple, reliable, and relatively inexpensive BIAB setup.

I feel like the perfect kettle is the best place to start. I highly doubt I will ever want to brew anything more than 5 gallons. I see from other threads most of you recommend a 15-gallon kettle. Are there any recommendations for the perfect brand or other things I should be looking for?

Sometimes I'm frugal. I found a 7.5 gallon kettle with clad bottom and lid, good burner, and copper immersion chiller on sale for a really good price about 18 months ago.

I can get about 5.5 gallons of wort with this setup. I have to watch the boil and have to accept that I'm not going over 1.05x gravity unless I use extract or lower the final wort volume to less than 5 gallons.

Everything works. I have to pay attention the whole time but I'm ok with that.

With that said I will add that it would be nicer to have a larger kettle, burner, and chiller. But, since everything works as is I don't see the need for my purposes.

I'm sure you will get many opinions. All I'm saying is that you don't have to spend a ton of money to do this but there will be limitations.

I am not fond of my Edelmetal brew burner I would avoid that one

Thanks OG wan! I was actually looking at that burner, so that helps. Lots of folks seem to recommend the Wilser bags, so I’ll put that on my must list. Cheers!

Thanks Little River! That’s a ton of great advice! I’m sure I’ll be coming back to this post for reference as I shop around. Interesting on the thermometer. I ruined my wife’s candy thermometer by dropping it into the wort. Maybe I can replace
It with this and then borrow it....I appreciate all the great suggestions!

Sometimes I'm frugal. I found a 7.5 gallon kettle with clad bottom and lid, good burner, and copper immersion chiller on sale for a really good price about 18 months ago.

I hear ya! I did my first experiment with a 3 gal recipe in a 5 gal kettle. It was intense but with a good sparse it worked out. I keep thinking 15 gal seems overkill but so many swear by it, hard not to listen. I wish I could find all those things as a package. I’ll keep watching for something like that. Cheers!

I hear ya! I did my first experiment with a 3 gal recipe in a 5 gal kettle. It was intense but with a good sparse it worked out. I keep thinking 15 gal seems overkill but so many swear by it, hard not to listen. I wish I could find all those things as a package. I’ll keep watching for something like that. Cheers!

Right now you could get this https://www.northernbrewer.com/coll...cts/raise-your-game-ii-brew-kettle-burner-kit

Add an immersion chiller https://www.northernbrewer.com/coll...ng/products/copperhead-immersion-wort-chiller and use the 15% off coupon CRAFT This would get you a decent setup for less than $180.

It's not going to be the best out there but it's going to work and it's not going to cost too much.

Great advice everyone!

+1 wilser bags rock.
+1 kettle with a valve.

I think a copper immersion chiller is best starting out, but I currently use a counterflow chiller with a pump because it's a lot faster at chilling (and uses less water).
If you can DIY a copper chiller for less than you can buy it, I would. An immersion chiller is easy to make. You need a tool to bend the angles though, otherwise it will kink. I recommend silicone hoses because vinyl tends to deform with the heat.

I use a bayou classic SQ14 burner for 5-6 gal batches. Got it for about $50. It's quiet and effective; I'd recommend it.

You need a quality thermometer.

+1 make getting a grain mill a priority. It will save you money in the long run by increasing efficiency, avoiding waste (milled grain has a shelf life), avoiding milling fees, and allow you to buy grain in bulk at a better price.

A stir plate and flask for yeast starters are good things to consider, as budget allows.

For what it's worth, I avoid Northern Brewer and Midwest because they're owned by the Anheuser Busch inbev conglomerate.

Happy brewing!

One thing I would recommend is your minimum size BK should be double what you plan to brew because it will give you some scalability should you ever decide to brew larger. A lot of money can be wasted by making small increases in BK size. At 10 gallons, you could boil 8 gallons. You probably would not be able to mash with 8 gallons doing BIAB, but you can add makeup water after the mash.

A 15 gallon kettle would definitely let you grow to 8 gallon mash & boil and work well for 5 gallon mash & brews. When I started brewing (squeezing a 5 gallon brew into a pot with 0.5” freeboard) I never thought I’d be doing 8-9 gallon brews, but I did end up there.

A copper IC is one of the cheapest & easiest builds. I think the last one I made cost less than $25 in parts and I made it in less than 2 hours. If you are even slightly handy, you can do it. You just need a 4 - 5” cylinder to help you wrap the tubing.

Wilserbrewer’s bags are fantastic.

As for burners, the more BTUs the better. I think I have a 55,000 BTU Bayou.

Last edited:
... I currently use a counterflow chiller with a pump because it's a lot faster at chilling (and uses less water)...

If you're dumping the water, then I have no doubt that a counterflow would use less water than an immersion chiller. But lots of folks don't dump the water. Some save it in buckets for watering the garden, or other purposes. I use the wort chilling process to make the hot & warm water I need for cleanup after brewing.

I use an inexpensive pump and first recirculate from a 5gal bucket of tap water. When the water and the wort temp equalize, there's no more cooling potential in the water. I cap the bucket and save it as my hot water for cleanup. I then move the hoses over to a cooler that's filled with water and a 20lb bag of ice (which I get for $2 at a local grocery). The wort temp drops fast when the ice water starts flowing, reaching pitching temp is never a problem. I save the resulting warm water to use as rinse water during cleanup.

So my combined total water usage for both chilling and cleanup is 10gal. That's not bad, and possibly even lower than a counterflow rig that does not save the water for other purposes(?).

Another bonus of re-circulation is that it's self contained. That means I can brew wherever, I don't have to be close to a water hose. The same is true of my propane burner. My favorite place to brew is outside on the loading dock of my shop, which has a beautiful view.

Dock View - small.jpg

Sometimes a Pic is worth a thousand words:

biabgaragedoor.jpgbiabgarage.jpg

That's it. A place to hang the bag from, the bag and pulley (both from Wilserbags), and a heat soruce. The pic shows a 10-gallon kettle in which I did 5-gallon batches. The burner is a Hellfire, and yeah, I know, they say to not use it underneath an overhang or in a garage. So don't.

If you want to do 10-gallon batches, I'd go with a 20-gallon kettle. I know some say you can do it with a 15-gallon kettle, but that's really pushing it, especially if you have a lot of grain. I typically would use 7- or 7.25 gallons of water for a 5-gallon infusion, plus the grain. For a 10-gallon batch that's 14.5 gallons of water plus the grain. A 15-gallon kettle wouldn't work for me.

As far as burners: I had a King Kooker 54k BTU burner which was OK for 5-gallon batches. Slow, but steady. My current burner is the Blichmann Hellfire, rated at 140k BTU. It's a beast. It's almost overkill for a 5-gallon batch, but I bought mine in anticipation of 20-gallon kettles and 10-gallon batches. So a burner somewhere between 54k and 140k btus would be just fine for 5-gallon batches. If you plan to grow, bite the bullet and get the Blichmann.

Last edited:
Wow, there are lots of great suggestions here! As for shopping Northern Brewer, I do like them. Their packaging and shipping are great. Their site and products are great. And most important, if it weren’t for them, I would not have been able to get into this as much as I have. It is such an ordeal to find a brew shop, and while the one in the city is great, it is difficult to find parking and haul anything more than an armful blocks away. BUT, I did see the NB burner and kettle combo and that’s where I get a tad bit irritated. The burner is bottom of their lineup and kettle is an 8 gallon and does not include a ball valve. It just gets me to the next level until I realize I need those little extras and have to invest in yet another set up. I think they want me to keep upgrading a bit at a time. Otherwise, they would offer those upgrade with their package, and they made it clear to me that they don’t. But I digress. I really like them and will keep shopping their and stay on their mailing list, but I might go elsewhere for the kettle.

For 5 gallons BIAB you don't need a 15 gallon kettle or an outside burner.
Get a 7.5 gallon kettle (on sale about $80-90) and a cheapo 16qt pot (about $20)
Mash in your main kettle (on the stove), then heat up the sparge water in the smaller pot and do a dunk sparge.
Crank up the heat on both pots and when you get a boil, just dump the smaller pot into your big one.
If you really want to be an outside brewer, go ahead and get the bigger pot and a burner.

Wow, there are lots of great suggestions here! As for shopping Northern Brewer, I do like them. Their packaging and shipping are great. Their site and products are great. And most important, if it weren’t for them, I would not have been able to get into this as much as I have. It is such an ordeal to find a brew shop, and while the one in the city is great, it is difficult to find parking and haul anything more than an armful blocks away. BUT, I did see the NB burner and kettle combo and that’s where I get a tad bit irritated. The burner is bottom of their lineup and kettle is an 8 gallon and does not include a ball valve. It just gets me to the next level until I realize I need those little extras and have to invest in yet another set up. I think they want me to keep upgrading a bit at a time. Otherwise, they would offer those upgrade with their package, and they made it clear to me that they don’t. But I digress. I really like them and will keep shopping their and stay on their mailing list, but I might go elsewhere for the kettle.

I have mixed feelings about NB. I also started with them, and the products and support were decent. Then AB-Inbev bought them, and I have a hard time believing they're truly behind homebrewing, given as it's competition for them.

One of the hardest things to do early in one's brewing career is to know where one will "top out." I started out with an 8-gallon NB kettle, upgraded to a Spike 10-gallon kettle later. Wish I'd used the money for the NB kettle on the Spike, but who knew? There are other good kettles out there, but two things you want to look for is a thicker gauge of stainless steel, and a tri-clad bottom which will spread the heat out better. Cheap stainless kettles won't give you either of those.

It is possible to add ports later; kettles can be drilled, and you can get first-class fittings for that from brewhardware.com. You can also, if the kettle is a good thick gauge, have welded ports added, though the ports at Brewhardware are so solid you can't tell them from welded. I've had welded ports added to my Spike kettle twice, and all I've done is added to its value.

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 10-gallon kettle if I were you--give yourself a little room in case you want to do really big beers, or just to provide a buffer against boilovers.

You'll want the ball valve, which you already know. You'll also wish you had a burner that raises the kettle high enough that you can just rack from the ball valve into a fermenter. That's what was nice about my King Kooker burner, and later the Blichmann with the leg extensions: they raised up the kettle. It's also very nice not to have to be bending down.

So--hard as this is to do, and I know exactly how hard it is--try to imagine where you want to be in a year, and try not to cheap out if you can. I know nobody is made of money, and it's hard to buy top-shelf stuff for brewing for a lot of people, but if it is, maybe you can sell off some other stuff you have. Craigslist, facebook, like that.

I sold my NB stuff to help pay for the Spike kettle, and that helped, but I wish I knew then where i was going to end up now. I'd have saved hundreds of dollars.

Good luck, and keep us informed as to what choices you end up making and why.

I do 4 gallon batches in an 8 gallon kettle just fine. Pretty sure I could do 5 gallons in it, but it would be tight. 10 gallon kettle should be plenty for 5 gallon batches, but you may need to sparge big beers in a separate bucket instead of going with a full volume mash to keep your efficiency up. Normal strength beers you can either sparge or not; it'll work either way.

What are you using for a heat source? Bigger kettle takes more heat to maintain a boil.

I have the following set up.

10 Gallon Megapot with ball valve. I have no problem doing 5 gallon batches with this kettle. After the bag is pulled there is plenty of room for the boil.
Edelmetal Bru Burner - I have no problems with this and I love it.
Brew Bag bag.

Other accessories:
Thermo Pen from thermoworks - these have a certified calibration.
Old blanket with bungee cord - I use this to insulate the kettle during the mash. Have found that I usually only lose about 1 degree F even on a cold day when I insulate my kettle.
Heat shield from Brew Hardware - I got this after I damaged the gasket on my ball valve.
Perforated Pizza Crisper - this fits perfectly over my kettle when I drain my bag. Lift the bag, put crisper on kettle, put bag on crisper, squeeze bag if desired.
Mash Paddle.

I will warn you this can become addicting - I am presently building an indoor eBIAB setup.

What are you using for a heat source? Bigger kettle takes more heat to maintain a boil.

Interesting point! I’m using stove top right now. It’s actually a pretty hefty gas range stove but wife is kicking me out of the kitchen, so shopping for a burner too.

I sold my NB stuff to help pay for the Spike kettle, and that helped, but I wish I knew then where i was going to end up now. I'd have saved hundreds of dollars.
Good luck, and keep us informed as to what choices you end up making and why.
All excellent advice! Thanks so much! I see all the you tube videos of folks brewing and behind them you can see 5 or 6 generations of setups, burners, kettles, coolers, piles of buckets, etc. I think I fear collecting all of that stuff more so than spending too much. Want to try to get this right the first time. But if I don’t it won’t be the end of the world. I appreciate all the advice you guys have offered.

Interesting point! I’m using stove top right now. It’s actually a pretty hefty gas range stove but wife is kicking me out of the kitchen, so shopping for a burner too.

I have a pretty hefty gas range too. It handled the 22 quart kettle I was using just fine. When I stepped up to 8 gallons it couldn't quite do it -- so I added an electric heat stick and it's good again. The heat stick also saves me a bunch of propane when I boil outside in the summer.

Unless you're adverse to Aluminum, you can find some decent 10g kettles for under $60.... I scored a very nice, thick-walled 10g Al kettle from Staples, of all places, for $40!
If you want to go cheaper, look for tamale steamers in a local latino market if you have any nearby.... I got a 10g for $25 and 15g for $35... Very thin walls on those, though... I much prefer my 10g from Staples.... dunk sparge in a smaller pot, for larger grain bills.

I do stove-top BIAB, with $10 heat stick from Amazon to speed heating and increase vigor of the boil.... Wilser bag, FTW.... I started off w/ $4 IKEA voile curtains, but they have a very coarse weave and dealing with the excess material is a pain (unless you sew it into a bag yourself)... I don't regret purchasing a Wilser combo.... I cheaped out and bought a different brand of BIAB bag off Amazon to use in a 5g bucket for fruit wines... I regret that choice. The Wilser bags are much better in every way...

Corona mill in a homer bucket...

No-chill/overnight chill...

BIAB can be inexpensive, if you let it!

Can I be That Guy who mentions going electric?
Is that a Millennium Snake there? I posted this thread bc someone talked me out of a robobrew and I can’t find any other electric setup under $800. It I’m curious about what you would recommend.

Buying the kettle:
Now’s the time to consider the future of your 5 gallon batches.

Size:
I get by just fine with a 12 gallon kettle, but wouldn’t mind a 15. 10 is too small.

Ports:
I really like having any ports welded, rather than o-rings.
Brewhardware sells some fittings that can be silver soldered on if you’re handy.
Or you can order a Spike kettle with the ports you want.

I prefer no threads so TC is my choice, but costs a bit more to get all the clamps. Valves take up more space too, but the TC stuff is a breeze to clean.

Get the port for the drain valve and a whirlpool port. The whirlpool will be your best friend with the immersion chiller.

If deciding ports up front for a welded kettle, add a 2” port for an electric element.

Recirculation:
Recirculation port and a bag is not fun for me. If I were to try that combo, I would add the recirculation port on the lid with a soldered fitting. Recirculation will create heat loss and require a heat source. That element port is perfect but then requires a thermometer port near the element.
I’d get a false bottom to go between the element and bag for this application too.

If that got real complicated, real quick, maybe embrace the simplicity of BIAB and forget the recirculation all together.
If you’re not going to add heat during the mash, you’ll benefit from mashing with the full volume of water, as it will hold the heat better.

Thanks again everyone! I have a feeling this is never going to end. But trying to piece all of this together and going relatively inexpensive but not cheap, this is what I’ve decided on. With all of the stove top mini mash/small batch experiments I’ve done, I wound up with about 20 gallons of bottled beer, so I’m giving myself until mid August to go through some of it while I watch for deals.

Ss BrewTech 15 gal kettle with 3 ports, ball valve, and threaded barb

Hellfire Blichmann Burner

Copperhead 50ft x 3/8 wort chiller

Wilser Bag and Pulley combo

I had budgeted $500 for a RoboBrew and this puts me about $100 above that, but gives me an extra 6 gallons capacity and I believe will heat and cool significantly faster. And plenty of room for enhancements later.

Other items I see here that I may want to consider:

Grain mill
Insulation
Thermometer
Stir plate and flask
Recirculation pump
Crisper/strainer
Mash paddle
Heat stick

Can’t wait to get this set up and start working on my fall beers!

Thanks again everyone! I have a feeling this is never going to end. But trying to piece all of this together and going relatively inexpensive but not cheap, this is what I’ve decided on. With all of the stove top mini mash/small batch experiments I’ve done, I wound up with about 20 gallons of bottled beer, so I’m giving myself until mid August to go through some of it while I watch for deals.

Ss BrewTech 15 gal kettle with 3 ports, ball valve, and threaded barb

Hellfire Blichmann Burner

Copperhead 50ft x 3/8 wort chiller

Wilser Bag and Pulley combo

I had budgeted $500 for a RoboBrew and this puts me about $100 above that, but gives me an extra 6 gallons capacity and I believe will heat and cool significantly faster. And plenty of room for enhancements later.

Other items I see here that I may want to consider:

Grain mill
Insulation
Thermometer
Stir plate and flask
Recirculation pump
Crisper/strainer
Mash paddle
Heat stick

Can’t wait to get this set up and start working on my fall beers!

One more thing you might consider if you haven't already done so is fermentation temperature control. A lot of brewers here will tell you that being able to control fermentation temps resulted in a leap forward in their beer quality.

...Recirculation pump, Crisper/strainer...Heat stick...

Unless you plan to do lots of step mashing, I advise against a mash recirculation system. It's only going to cause you extra expense, headaches, and cleaning. If you're planning on using the pump for recirculating chilling water, then full speed ahead, in that scenario the pros far outweigh the cons.

If the crisper/strainer is to be used for helping drain or squeeze the bag, you should not need it if you are using an overhead hoist point for your bag. Just let gravity fully drain the bag into the kettle during the entire boil.

With a propane burner you will not need a heat stick.

I'd probably start with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Steamer-Vaporera-Premium-Aluminum-Tamalera/dp/B00WW8Q6DI (might be available cheaper at a local restaurant supply store), a Wilser bag, and a good electronic thermometer. A little over $100. Figure out what else you need as you go.

I started out with a 22 quart pressure canner that I already had and a hardware store paint strainer bag. Later I bought a decent 8 gallon kettle from someone in my homebrew club that was stepping up, then bought a Wilser bag to fit it. Then bought a heat stick because my stove couldn't quite boil it.

Last edited:
Unless you plan to do lots of step mashing, I advise against a mash recirculation system. It's only going to cause you extra expense, headaches, and cleaning. If you're planning on using the pump for recirculating chilling water, then full speed ahead, in that scenario the pros far outweigh the cons.

If the crisper/strainer is to be used for helping drain or squeeze the bag, you should not need it if you are using an overhead hoist point for your bag. Just let gravity fully drain the bag into the kettle during the entire boil.

With a propane burner you will not need a heat stick.

Yeah, that's a list of items I gleaned from all the comments. Some of the stuff I already have from doing extract and partial mashes. I do have a transfer pump that works well for recirculating chilling water, though I'm not sure it's going to be able to push through 50ft of 3/8 copper coil. We shall see. I do want to go ahead and get the extra port in case I want to experiment later, but I do want to know more first. I'm a bit squeamish about moving the wort in and out of the kettle through a pump, which is why I chose to go with the immersion chiller rather than some of the other alternatives.

...I do want to go ahead and get the extra port in case I want to experiment later... I'm a bit squeamish about moving the wort in and out of the kettle through a pump, which is why I chose to go with the immersion chiller ...

Those are good decisions.

Seems i may be late to the party, but my 2 cents anyhow.
First, I was an extract brewer for about 10 years before I took the leap to BIAB about 2 months ago. I have done 5 batches now and am stoked on the process.
I bought a 15 gallon aluminum kettle. I know, I know. but all the research I did says aluminum has noill affects on beer or health.
it was about $75
I bought a 50' immersion chiller for about the same price. it is overkill for my 5 gallon batches as the top 1/3 is out of the wert, but that's ok.
my advice is to get a burner with the highest BTU value you can afford. this will cut down on your brew day time considerably. I got on on Amazon for about $85, it is a double burner with 75,000 btu per side. It gets 7.5 gallons from the hose to strike temp (160f) in about 15 mins, then to boil in another 15.

i also made a hoist from scrap wood and it is a life saver.

enjoy!

If you want to save money, you could buy a digiboil for about $160. I have both, havent got to use the 220v yet, I have to change the plug on it. The 110v works great takes about 50 min to get to mash temps. Turn unit off and drop bag in and stir in your grains. Lift bag and then turn back on. It will give u extra to spend on other stuff.

If you want to save money, you could buy a digiboil for about $160. I have both, havent got to use the 220v yet, I have to change the plug on it. The 110v works great takes about 50 min to get to mash temps. Turn unit off and drop bag in and stir in your grains. Lift bag and then turn back on. It will give u extra to spend on other stuff.

I started this thread because someone changed my mind about buying a robobrew and instead using a kettle, burner, and bag. For a really good setup, the price is about the same and it looks like if you go with a good brand of kettle, you can do lots of modifications later. I had not considered the digiboil because I had assumed it was designed for extract brewing and I'm pretty comfortable doing five gallon extracts on the stove. However, with BIAB, I can see how it may work, and to your point, is cheap enough I could use it in addition to the burner kettle. I may actually consider this as a later addition. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back