Antivirus software - whose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
I have been using Norton 360 for a number of years, and never had a problem or virus. The 360 program seems to take care of the usual tune-up and security stuff. However, recently I can see the Norton file in File Manager using up a lot of memory and the machine really slows down, especially with FireFox.

My subscription runs out in about 40 days and I was considering changing to something else. Perhaps Mcafee, but comparing the two, it looks like the Mcafee Total Protection package is lacking in areas such as email protection.

I run a consulting business out of the house, so I need something that works well, but isn't so much of a Memory Hog.

Any suggestions? Has anybody used Mcafee 2011 Total Protection?

McAfee sucks. I had an extremely terrible experience with them recently(that was the most recent edition of total Protection) I went to a free it service on my campus and the guy there helped me get a nasty virus off that 1. McAfee did not detect the virus. 2. Their virus removal "experts" could not remove with over two hours of effort.

The guy on campus had it out in 20 minutes...

I asked him to recommend an antivirus and he recommended either Microsoft Security Essentials or Malwarebytes. I am currently using Malwarebytes and I am happy with it, however I do not know how much memory it uses.

At work we use Norton, good program, but I have heard other stories of resource issues. At home I have been using Avira AntiVir Personal (free) for several years, seems to do the job. They also have a paid version with more features, but the free one seems to have done the job for me.
I'd avoid McAfee. Their marketing/distribution practices border on malware, just not worth it for me. Their focus is getting it installed on new PC's or when you install unrelated applications, then go after your $$ after the free period runs out.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

I completely lack the tech gene, but I have been using avast free for the last year with no issues at all

I feel your pain. Norton gave me the exact same issues...my computer ran soo slowly because it was constantly scanning in the background. WebRoot has worked really well for me since then. They actually get higher marks than Norton if I remember correctly.

I dont know dick about computers. But...I've been running Sophos for the last 6 months or so without any probs.

I started running slow a couple months ago and ran a scan....problem solved. I feel like with all the other programs I've used in the past it was multiple scans over the course of 2 days til any probs were taken care of.

I highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for home use. It is well rated, lightweight, and best of all free. Since it is from Microsoft, it should minimize the potential for OS conflicts as well. I do IT as a career and this is what is on all of my home systems, take that for what you will.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

I would stay well away from anything Symantec. Their ties to Huawei which has known ties to the Chinese military make me extremely leery of security software they produce.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/16/computer-labs-parts-raise-spy-concerns/

Nod32 is definitely a good one. I also like kaspersky. I also use malware bytes since its just an on demand scanner.

i use a combination of Microsoft security essentials and avg. altho i reinstalled windows and i dont recall putting on avg (have not had a virus yet in 5 months)

I've been using the Kaspersky Internet Security (2012) suite (3 license pack) for a couple of years now. No issues/viruses and it's blocked items from coming in. I would go with it again, or the Microsoft protection product in a heartbeat.

Personally, I think the McAfee products suck for several reasons. Not the least of which is how notorious they are for being PITA to remove (I've had to do it in the past, never much joy there). The Symantec AV products were good until recently (SAVCE 10 was great, 11 not so much)... I've seen the AVG Free product FAIL to protect a system already, so I would advise against that. The free version won't protect you from stuff from sites (after the initial period)...

Not sure what I'll do in about 212 days when my current subscription to Kaspersky runs out. I might give the Microsoft product a shot. I did load that onto my niece and nephew's laptops since my sister and BIL are notorious for not spending a few extra dollars where it makes sense (but will over spend on other things)...

McAfee blows, it kills your computer resources....

they wanted me to install that on my computer during college, and i refused.

Been in the computer industry for 20+ years.. I use Avast for my home and small business and at work I install Trend Micro.

Avast is a good product with no issues. Norton and McAfee in the past have caused issues with slowdowns, but has been better.

No matter what the decision, every anti-virus has holes and a virus can get into the computer. No way around that.. Install 2 A/V solutions and then you will have them fighting and the computer will really slow down.

+1 Avast

There's a free version for home use.
You should also look at Malwarebytes. Excellent at detecting and removing malware.

We use (used) McAffee at work and it sucks. I've worked on MANY computers with Nortons and it's no better. Resource hogs both of them.

I use AVG because it's free and seems to work well. I've also seen Kapersky in action and it worked very well. A friend swears by NOD32 and even pays for it (trust me, he NEVER pays for software he can download for free!)

I think that if you use a decent spyware software, like Malwarebytes, and are decent about not clicking on stuff you shouldn't, then anything EXCEPT McAfee and Norton will work well.

Note that I run the virus software without all of the other junk that they offer. Keeps it light and doesn't bog down the computer. Most important thing is to not click on stuff you shouldn't. That video you really want to see should NOT have a .exe file extension...

Been in the computer industry for 20+ years.. I use Avast for my home and small business and at work I install Trend Micro.

Avast is a good product with no issues. Norton and McAfee in the past have caused issues with slowdowns, but has been better.

No matter what the decision, every anti-virus has holes and a virus can get into the computer. No way around that.. Install 2 A/V solutions and then you will have them fighting and the computer will really slow down.

+1 on Avast.

I have been in the IT industry for 10+ years now and use it for my home PCs. For the office we use Sophos AV but mainly because of the simplified central management.

I cannot count the number of times I have had clients drop off their personal PCs due to slowness and found it to be caused by a combination of Norton AV swallowing all the resources and its inability to actually stop PCs from getting virus.

ME: "Can I remove Norton and put something on that works? Plus there is no subscription fee."
CLIENT: "Doesn't paying for it make it better?"
ME: "Sadly, like so many other things in this world, it does not."

+1 on Avast.

I have been in the IT industry for 10+ years now and use it for my home PCs. For the office we use Sophos AV but mainly because of the simplified central management.

I cannot count the number of times I have had clients drop off their personal PCs due to slowness and found it to be caused by a combination of Norton AV swallowing all the resources and its inability to actually stop PCs from getting virus.

ME: "Can I remove Norton and put something on that works? Plus there is no subscription fee."
CLIENT: "Doesn't paying for it make it better?"
ME: "Sadly, like so many other things in this world, it does not."

I hear ya. MIL had trouble installing Nortons. But by then it was too late. I cleaned that out and installed AVG. She asked why I didn't put Nortons on and I just said because it will slow your computer down as much as most of the junk that infects it.

"But I paid for it!"

Just think of it as paying for total protection. Does it matter if you actually use that or the free one? Either way you spent $30 to stay safe.

There are some good for pay virus protection softwares out there. And some not so good ones. (They are not in the business of protecting you, they are in the business of selling their software and will use all sorts of claims and neat apps to get you to buy it)

AVG free user here for 4 years. It has active scanning on anything downloaded or unzipped, and numerous times it's popped up and warmed me when it detected something. For malware scans - spybot S&D and adaware. Both free.

Agreed on the Avast free anti-virus. It was recommended to me by someone that has his own computer repair business and that is what he uses on his own computers. I have had it for 2 years now and will never pay for anti-virus software again.

So Avast has a good central update system? I'd like to replace McAfee at work, but I'd need one that has an easy-to-use and reliable network update system.

I have been using F-Secure Internet security for years. My ISP also includes it now as a free subscription for its customers. I have it installed on about 10 different computers and it works well. Has built in firewall, AV, Spam, realtime scanning, etc.. Not much of a memory hog.

I've never had a complaint about Avast except for the ads. But I haven't used it for a few years, so I don't know if that's still the same.

+1 for Avast. Been protecting my entire home network with Avast for at least 6 years if not longer. I download lots of torrents so I'm fairly exposed but Avast does a great job and I haven't has any issues since switching from Norton. It is free, updates very regularly, and best never hogs system resources.

The only annoyance is you have to re-register every year but for a fantastic free product, no biggie. In fact, I think it's time I bought the full version seeing how awesome of a job it does.

If I remember correctly they are based out of the Czech Republic and were founded by a bunch of ex-hackers -- so they know what they are doing :D

+1 for Microsoft Security Essentials.

100% Free
Quick
Takes very little memory
Most tech forums and blogs rank it #1

I like Eset NOD32. So much that I pay for it yearly. I've heard good things about MSE, but I'm pretty set in my ways. Microsoft has never done anything right on the first try. I dont expect AV software to be any different honestly.

I highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for home use. It is well rated, lightweight, and best of all free. Since it is from Microsoft, it should minimize the potential for OS conflicts as well. I do IT as a career and this is what is on all of my home systems, take that for what you will.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

I would stay well away from anything Symantec. Their ties to Huawei which has known ties to the Chinese military make me extremely leery of security software they produce.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/16/computer-labs-parts-raise-spy-concerns/

Interesting about Symantec ...We use Symantec endpoint protection 11 at work..but I recommend MS Security Essentials..as a MS product, you are sure to get all of the hooks into the OS

I've not had any issues since switching to Linux...

But on my Windows gaming installation, I use Avast. No issues, but not much runtime.

I've been using AVG free edition for years, it has caught a couple and healed them right away. Have not had a virus in years... Now I'm doomed.........:D

I use Avast on my Windows machines. No issues with my Linux box. Before driving School Bus, I had a 15+ year long IT career.

Didn't see this one posted. I run clamwin and have had good luck with it on my windows box

Latest posts

Back