Another Wisconsinite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Resident Crazy Uncle
Reaction score
Sometime in 1980 I had my first beer. It was a porter or stout that my old man was brewing in the basement. I was 9. I remember the glass bottles and watching the bubbles in the valves. I recall being sent across the street to a field to pick dandy lions one day so dad could make wine. I remember the still in the garage, because dad always takes his hobbies just a little too far. : )

Fast forward a couple decades. I was looking for Christmass gifts for some of my friends and ran across the 'Mr Beer' kit on one of my web searches. Seeing that stirred up those old memories of boiling pots and gigling containers and the rows of brown bottles in the basement.

So I called up the old man and asked if I could get his brew books and his old brew gear (he's long since moved on to new hobbies-- race cars, side cars and, of all the crazy stunts--- ice drilling on Antarctica) which he happily turned over to me. (3 books by Papazian and a wide assortment of carboys and other gear that'll make it cheap for me to get started)

As is typical for the Robinson men, I'm currently in the 'read lots of stuff about my new hobby before I get my feet wet' mode. Which is what brought me here--- I think I've always learned more about my hobbies by listening to other hobbiests talk about them than I ever did from a book.

While I don't have piles of time (I'm an internal tester for a game developer and we're currently trying to push a pretty big product out the door for Christmas) soon work will slack off significantly and I'm sure I'll be cooking up a pot before too much longer.

welcome to the game!

Nice score picking up your dad's old gear. No better way to get started than free equipment!

-walker

Welcome!

Are you a Badgers fan? They're on a roll right now.

Glad to have you on the forum, this is where I learned (and am still learning) most of what I know about brewing. Once you start you'll never by beer from the store again - if you can help it.

I wanna be a game tester and play games all day! Send me an application.

www.howtobrew.com is a great site.

gibfried said:
Welcome!

Are you a Badgers fan? They're on a roll right now.

Not really-- I'll watch a game if that's what folks are doing but I don't really 'follow' any sports or teams. Frankly, I'd rather sit around on someone's lawn and shoot the **** while tipping a few back than watch the boob tube and watch the game. *shrug*

gibfried said:
I wanna be a game tester and play games all day! Send me an application.
http://www.ravensoft.com/jobs.html <--- Looks like we've got no slots for testing right now but it never hurts to send along a resume.

Welcome from a 'flatlander'!

I go to Madison for the model train show every year (my other hobby) and I always stop buy The Great Dane on Doty after the show for an early dinner and to pick up three or four growlers to take back home! One of the best brewpubs in the country, IMHO!:D

kornkob said:
While I don't have piles of time (I'm an internal tester for a game developer and we're currently trying to push a pretty big product out the door for Christmas) soon work will slack off significantly and I'm sure I'll be cooking up a pot before too much longer.

So what is it?
shhh.gif

Welcome fellow Wisconsinite!!!!

Welcome to the board and a great hobby. My father used to brew when I was a kid as well, and I still remember his setup in the old basement.

Nice job, btw. Wish I lived out that way, or else I'd sign up. Not too many positions in that field around Ohio
sweat.gif

The beer or the product I'm working on.

Beer: dunno yet-- some light ale, I imagine--- whatever takes my fancy at the HBS on Monroe.

Product: Quake4

Impending? I pretty much gave up my summer to Quake and XMen Legends 2. Crunch has been a long process.

But Raven treats us right (I haven't paid for dinner in long enough that I don't remember what metal silverware tastes like).

Besides-- I can honestly say that I get paid to play games for 40-60 hours a week. Hell-- if I could get back pay for all the hours I whiles away in front of a monitor fragging pixels, I'd be loaded. : )

Heh, well, post-release crunch.

Typical timeline: Crunch, crunch, crunch, release :cheer:, :users scream:, crunch, crunch, crunch ...

Good to hear they feed you; better then working for EA I suppose ;)

I want to do a shameless plug here and suggest that you video game players buy video cards with Nvidia processors on them.

You then get to play games using graphics processors that a fellow brewer (me) helps to design, and I get to watch stock prices go up and, hence, brew more beer.

-walker

Yeah--- that's pretty much it. And the 'cheers' are just to keep our spirits up and to give us something to tell our families. "Yeah, hon--- things will change once beta has passed" "Now that beta is over it's jsut a little bit further and we'll be to code release candidate--- then the whole tempo changes" "Dear, once we're gold, things will be better" "Love, we just need to get the XBox Submission completed and our lives will be romantic and beautiful" "Oh, dearest woman, you cannot imagine the hights of fancy we will reach together once these last few things are wrapped up"

However, I have it fron the horse's mouth that EA doesn't even bother to gie you excuses. Salt mines are a definitive step up from EA production houses and getting salt mine benefits is how someone at EA can tell they are being fast-tracked to executive management.

Rhoobarb--- The Great Dane is a great bar. They have a second one out on Fish Hatchery Road as well, also very cool. Next time you are in town, look up JT Whitney's. They've got a great Friday Fish Fry--- and beer. On Tuesdays they have an Open Mic Blues night that is actually pretty good stuff.

In fact, drop me a line when you're coming up--- I can show you some of the sights.

Kornkob, anytime I'm in Wisconsin I pick up a few 6's of New Glarus. Also, if you haven't tried it, get New Glarus' Begian Cherry or Raspberry Tart. They are awesome!

Back