Another Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchyMcG

Reaction score
OK, I am doing my first all grain batch and I dont have any DME to do a starter. Can I use corn sugar for a starter? Sorry if this has been asked. Thanks!

BTW.. I am using White Labs liquid california ale yeast. Would i be better off just pitching it?

I would not do it, it would be better to under pitch (i.e. just pour the yeast in) than to make a starter out of dextrose. The yeast get used to growing in the environment of Dextrose and are not extremely health when you pitch the starter. I am sure someone else will say other wise but I would not do it.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-6.html

I have only heard bad things about using simple sugars to make a starter. You want the yeast to get started doing the job they are meant to do, otherwise they may not do anything once you get them into some wort. If you don't have anything to make a starter with, just don't do it and get some DME for next time.

Back