Another New Guy From Los Angeles Area!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikiel

Reaction score
Ok so not directly in Los Angeles but in Burbank. Still close enough to count right? Anyway I am a complete newbie to this hobby other than the amount of craft beer I drink and the five or so batches of halfway decent Mr. Beer I have made. While drinkable it never compared to any of my favorite craft beers.

With all that said my birthday is this month and my lovely wife knowing me so well decided to jump the gun and order me the following kit as an early bday gift. Personal Home Brewery Kit #3 - Bottling Deluxe. Everyone I have talked to says this is a great starter kit so I am hoping it serves me well. Based on all the reading I have done it seems to be a kit that will be very easy to build on and will get me started brewing immediately. Any thoughts or advice for additions to this kit would be appreciated. I have already bought a few items to help with cleaning and sanitizing including a 32oz Bottle of StarSan, a spray bottle and a large tub of Oxiclean Free. Beyond than I am open to suggestions and other items to help me start brewing right the first time!

Thanks to all in advance and happy to be involved with the forum!

I started with a starter kit from Northern Brew. It was ok but I did grow out of it fast. My $0.02.....use the money to buy everything separate so that you can buy what you really need and not left with a bunch of stuff that you may only use once or twice. For example, instead of a hydrometer, buy a refractometer. Instead of getting the 5gallon kettle (limited use), buy at least a 10gallon. Get a 6gal Better Bottle carboy, autosiphon, Starsan, cheap spray bottle, tubing, airlock, metal spoon, turkey fryer, LP tank, LP tank regulator..... You're set for some good extract brews. Save some more dough and look into kegging, it'll save you tons of work. I also live in the area and I know there are always a few used kegerators on CL. Good luck.

Thanks! Unfortunately it's already been ordered and shipped so I don't think it will be that easy to return considering it's weight so I will probably just go with it and upgrade as needed. I don't really have the room to brew outside yet as I am in a town house complex but should have plenty of room inside. The Kettle will be my first upgrade so I can get one that has outputs on it. The carboy that comes with it is a 6.5g Glass carboy but I have already started looking into a 5g Glass carboy as a secondary fermenter.

Yeah I have read a little on the kegging and that will be my next big step once I confirm that I will be doing this regularly. I have seen them on CL several times which is interesting because it seems like I rarely ever see brewing kits.

Thanks for the advice and some of the items you mentioned are already on my list for future purchases. Also on a side note which LHBS do you go to? I visited the one over in Eagle Rock the other day and it seemed nice but didn't know if there were any others worth while.

Coolio. My opinion, think again before you pull the trigger on another glass carboy. Glass is heavy and can be very dangerous. I've used my Better Bottle for years without any issues and they're cheap to replace if needed. Also, unless you're brewing Belgians or anything that needs to sit around for awhile, you won't need a secondary container just yet. Pales, IPA, etc. can be fermented in the same carboy for weeks without off flavors (although some may argue). I use to transfer my beer but now after tons of batches, I find that my IPA's are much better being fermented, dry hopped, etc in the same container. The only issue with brewing inside is that it'll take awhile to boil up your water on your stove and it'll take longer to cool your wort. Most people that buy kegerators, buy them to serve their keg of Bud, etc. When the parties are over and the novelty wears off, they tend to go on CL for cheap. I'm in the SouthBay so my local store is SouthBay Brewing Supplies. Otherwise, it's online shopping.

I started with a similar kit and also grew out of it fast But I still use the fermenter and a few other items a year later, so its a good investment for a starter. only thing I want to ad is brew kettle. Im building an outdoor rig but for now and since I started I brew indoor in a 9 gallon bayou classic turkey fryer. It has worked well for my 5 gallon brews but I started with an aluminum 7 gallon soup pot and Your wife loves you a lot more when your kettle doesn't boil over on the stove. My stove is gas and has a super boil burner so it doesn't take long to get the boil going the taller the kettle the better!! its tough getting dry boiled wort off stove!! enjoy!!

Coolio. My opinion, think again before you pull the trigger on another glass carboy. Glass is heavy and can be very dangerous. I've used my Better Bottle for years without any issues and they're cheap to replace if needed. Also, unless you're brewing Belgians or anything that needs to sit around for awhile, you won't need a secondary container just yet. Pales, IPA, etc. can be fermented in the same carboy for weeks without off flavors (although some may argue). I use to transfer my beer but now after tons of batches, I find that my IPA's are much better being fermented, dry hopped, etc in the same container. The only issue with brewing inside is that it'll take awhile to boil up your water on your stove and it'll take longer to cool your wort. Most people that buy kegerators, buy them to serve their keg of Bud, etc. When the parties are over and the novelty wears off, they tend to go on CL for cheap. I'm in the SouthBay so my local store is SouthBay Brewing Supplies. Otherwise, it's online shopping.

agree and disagree!! I use my keg as a secondary and dry hop in there, pull the hops out and carb it up I also found my kergerator on CL for dirt cheap. If you enjoy the hobby you will get sick of bottling so you might want to look into kegging..way easier

I started with a similar kit and also grew out of it fast But I still use the fermenter and a few other items a year later, so its a good investment for a starter. only thing I want to ad is brew kettle. Im building an outdoor rig but for now and since I started I brew indoor in a 9 gallon bayou classic turkey fryer. It has worked well for my 5 gallon brews but I started with an aluminum 7 gallon soup pot and Your wife loves you a lot more when your kettle doesn't boil over on the stove. My stove is gas and has a super boil burner so it doesn't take long to get the boil going the taller the kettle the better!! its tough getting dry boiled wort off stove!! enjoy!!

Thanks to both for the info. This is all great and the more I read the more I feel like this is just the beginning and I will be upgrading quickly. It also sounds like a larger kettle is my next purchase which is perfectly fine with me as the easier it is for me to get a full boil the better. Also anything to keep the wife happy will make my life better! I already convinced her to let me use the guest bathroom as my storage/fermenting room. I need to keep her happy any other way I can haha

Thanks to both for the info. This is all great and the more I read the more I feel like this is just the beginning and I will be upgrading quickly. It also sounds like a larger kettle is my next purchase which is perfectly fine with me as the easier it is for me to get a full boil the better. Also anything to keep the wife happy will make my life better! I already convinced her to let me use the guest bathroom as my storage/fermenting room. I need to keep her happy any other way I can haha

good luck and welcome to the addiction. Um I mean HOBBY!!!

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO (former Glendale native) :mug:

I do small batch stovetop BIAB for test recipes, etc., so having a smaller kettle can be great.

Welcome to the Hobby! I would think that controlling fermentation temp will help your brews more than kegging or even a 10 gallon boil pot. Look up a swamp cooler here on the site there are several ways to do it for not a lot of money. If your Careful the glass carboys are the bomb and if your not careful they break and it is possibly ugly bad. I love my Glass carboys and will continue to get more as I need them. Botttlying is work but nothing terrible Kegging is good tho the beer goes faster kegged . Enjoy what you brew!
:)

Welcome! I was born in LA, lived there about 2 years before moving to NC when I was a little kid. Which leads me to my tip, get your water tested! Water is the main ingredient in beer so it's a good idea to see what you're brewing with. Ward Labs is what most people use to send for testing. It'll seem like a lot to deal with at first, but keep at it and brewing great beer will become a lot easier.

Oh wow! Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. It seems like the more I read I am on the right path just need to start brewing and buy a few upgrades asap. I am going to do my first batch this weekend so I will make sure to update and let everyone know how it goes.

Oh wow! Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. It seems like the more I read I am on the right path just need to start brewing and buy a few upgrades asap. I am going to do my first batch this weekend so I will make sure to update and let everyone know how it goes.

Do you mind sharing your recipe for this weekend?

Yeah definitely! A blonde ale comes with the kit but I may go buy the ingredients for a red ale or something a little darker. Not trying to go complicated but would like to get something easy that fits my taste a little more. Once I figure it out I will post. The kit will be here Thursday.

Blondes are Good , I would be looking at my house where I can find a tempature below seventy. That way the flavor is good, if it goes and stays above 70 then the yeast makes things that don't taste great. The first 4 days of fermentation are the most important after day 5, 70 degrees is fine. :)

Blondes are Good , I would be looking at my house where I can find a tempature below seventy. That way the flavor is good, if it goes and stays above 70 then the yeast makes things that don't taste great. The first 4 days of fermentation are the most important after day 5, 70 degrees is fine. :)

Good call. I may hold onto that recipe for a while and find something else as it isn't really a favorite of mine anyway and would like to make something that won't be ruined by the currently fluctuating Southern California weather.

Here is the recipe I will be using.

Kilkenney Irish Red Ale

Ingredients

Amount Item
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract
6.00 oz British Crystal - 50-55L
4.00 oz Caramel 10 - 10L
4.00 oz Roasted Barley
1.00 oz Williamette (60 min)
0.20 oz Fuggles (15 min)
0.20 oz Kent Goldings (0 min)
1 Pkgs Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Let me know if you have any questions. I will be documenting the process tomorrow with pictures. I will post another Thread this weekend/early next week and pull it all together in a cohesive thought.

Check to see where your water comes from. In hermosa beach the water comes from 2 sources, ground water and the aquifer. One contains a lot of minerals the other is very pure. The problem is you never know what is coming out of the faucet. So either get a filter setup or buy RO water and build your own water profiles.

Your local homebrew shops are both excellent.

Beer, Wine and Cheese shop in Woodland Hills

and

Eagle Rock Home Brewing in Eagle Rock

I man the latter Mon-Fri, come in and say hi and I'll help you out.

-TK

Your local homebrew shops are both excellent.

Beer, Wine and Cheese shop in Woodland Hills

and

Eagle Rock Home Brewing in Eagle Rock

I man the latter Mon-Fri, come in and say hi and I'll help you out.

-TK

I was at Eagle Rock Home Brewing yesterday! Were you the guy that helped me figure out what the hell I was doing? I bought the Kilkenney Irish Red Ale.

Ah, yes that was me.

Welcome to the hobby!

Thanks. I appreciate the help yesterday. I was a bit overwhelmed walking in yesterday haha. Glad I have such a welcoming/helpful shop to work with. I am sure I will be visiting often moving forward.

No problem. See ya next time.

As others have pointed out, don't use LA water. As of a year ago, all LA water system now has chloramine in it, which doesn't boil out like chlorine, so I recommend getting (6) 1 gallon jugs of mountain spring water until you decide to geek out on water.

Most important thing though: Have fun.

No problem. See ya next time.

As others have pointed out, don't use LA water. As of a year ago, all LA water system now has chloramine in it, which doesn't boil out like chlorine, so I recommend getting (6) 1 gallon jugs of mountain spring water until you decide to geek out on water.

Most important thing though: Have fun.

Thanks! I actually already started cleaning my other water jugs to fill up at the local RO water station. I realized this morning that was one thing I hadn't prepared and was reading on it so I am glad you and others chimed in here about it confirming my suspicions.

Definitely going to try my best to have fun. I think once I start I will be fine but until then I am going to stress haha.

Hey Mikiel, I'm located just down the road from you, Glendale! Eagle Rock Home Brewing is my go-to store, was in there this last Tuesday!

I'll have to try out that Kilkenny Red recipe. Was introduced to that beer last year and really enjoyed it.

Hey Mikiel, I'm located just down the road from you, Glendale! Eagle Rock Home Brewing is my go-to store, was in there this last Tuesday!

I'll have to try out that Kilkenny Red recipe. Was introduced to that beer last year and really enjoyed it.

Yeah that is pretty close! Heck if you want to try one once I get them bottled and carb I would gladly throw one your way to try out.

I actually had to run back over to the shop in Eagle Rock today as I realized when I was going to put the stopper/airlock in that my 3-piece was slightly cracked and leaked water. So I quickly ran over to pick one up. Luckily I hit pretty much no traffic.

A couple of points, as others have mentioned, temperature control during fermentation is very important. I use a cheap 7 cubic ft. chest freezer with a temperature controller.
Water, I have good well water that I start the boil with, I then top off with mountain spring water. It's sanitized from the manufacturer, so needs no boiling, also both the well water and spring water have a good balance of minerals. I have glass, and plastic carboys, don't use them unless I'm making wine. 6 gallon plastic buckets are what work for me, keep them clean with non abrasive cloth and dish soap and water, then sanitize with starsan spray. I usually don't secondary unless it's a high gravity beer with lots of sediment, and that's just to make it easier to bottle/keg.
I'm an extract brewer, it just works for me. Now in my 3rd rear of home brewing, and about 30 brews. I've come to the conclusion that extract does not need to be boiled again, it's already been there, it just needs to be rehydrated with boiled and hopped water. I boil the specialty grains, hop additions, then add the LME at flame out, cool, top off, and pitch the yeast. I've had consistently good beer in all ABV ranges, no off flavors or "twang" issues since doing the flame out additions. If recipe calls for DME, I dissolve it in 160 degree water for 10 to 20 minutes, then add at flameout.
Everyone has their way of doing this home brew thing, the only cast in stone rules (IMO) are post boil sanitation, temperature control during fermentation, good water, and healthy, adequate amounts of yeast. The most fun part of this hobby so far for me, has been trying the many styles, and types of beer. And listening to all the advice, and tips offered here, and incorporating them into what works for me. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun :ban:

Hi all, I'm just singing up and looking forward to exchanging ideas with everyone. I'm in an exurban community north of Los Angeles, and I have four brew batches under my belt. Definitely looking forward to tips and mutual encouragement.

Hi all, I'm just singing up and looking forward to exchanging ideas with everyone. I'm in an exurban community north of Los Angeles, and I have four brew batches under my belt. Definitely looking forward to tips and mutual encouragement.

Thanks for posting! Seems like there is a good group of us from LA. Everyone I have met so far has been very welcoming and helpful. I just posted a photo log on Reddit this past Sunday and got some really great advice in the comments. If you want to check it out you can see it here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing...irst_brew_day_in_pictures_recipe_in_comments/

I know a lot of the comments already helped me to think about my process differently already. Hopefully it helps you as well.

First off, I'd like to welcome you to the hobby, Mikiel. I'm just down the freeway from you in Torrance. Second, I'd like to reiterate the quote below:

good luck and welcome to the addiction. Um I mean HOBBY!!!

This can truly turn into an expensive addiction very quickly, especially if you're into DIY at all - see the link in my signature for an idea of how crazy it can start to get, and then realize that I've barely begun to scratch the surface compared to what others have done and are doing around here! Your best bet is to start letting the wife get her way if you aren't doing this already... I find it makes it easier to get all the cool new shiny things we want! :mug:

First off, I'd like to welcome you to the hobby, Mikiel. I'm just down the freeway from you in Torrance. Second, I'd like to reiterate the quote below:

This can truly turn into an expensive addiction very quickly, especially if you're into DIY at all - see the link in my signature for an idea of how crazy it can start to get, and then realize that I've barely begun to scratch the surface compared to what others have done and are doing around here! Your best bet is to start letting the wife get her way if you aren't doing this already... I find it makes it easier to get all the cool new shiny things we want! :mug:

:drool: So you are inviting me over this weekend to check out your setup right?

Woooohoooo! I will save it for when you get your system finished so I can come check out how that bad boy works.

Also to respond to your first post to me, yes I am already learning how addictive the potential is with this hobby. I am already planning out the next 12 months worth of purchases haha. I just need to decide on which upgrade I want to start with. The few that I have in mind are in order of want is:

1. A mini fridge/freezer
2. A wort chiller
3. Bayou KAB6
4. A 10g brew kettle
5. Additional Fermenters

Soooooo okay I may have more than a few in mind. Would like to hear anyone's thoughts on a better order of purchase but based on all my reading so far temp control is a big part of this hobby and I feel like the first 3 allow me to do just that and the last 2 are for larger batches and moving into all-grain.

Good list and order.

Also consider (prior to building any all grain stuff)

yeast starter kit (flask/stir plate)
oxygenation kit (o2 bottle/reg, stone)

All of that stuff is more important/higher priority than switching to all-grain.

Freezer/mini fridge will need a thermostat controller of course.

We also have a class this Sunday.

Back