Another name or substitute for Belgian Black Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgmarquez

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to brew the Creme Brulee Imperial Stout in the most recent edition of BYO. The recipe calls for 1.5 lbs of Belgian Black malt 600L. I can't find it anywhere and was thinking it goes by another name. Any ideas? De-bittered or not? Thanks in advance.

Carafa III will do and shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Thanks. However, I'm confused because when you look at carafa III it says it should be 1-5% of grain bill. The 1.5 lbs the recipe calls for should be bout 30% of the grain bill. That seems problematic. I'm I making this too difficult?

I picked up some of the debittered carafa III but haven't used it yet. Might want to try that with a little regular to give it some bite.

Post the whole recipe. For some reason, I haven't recieved my BYO this month again.... Maybe a mail problem?

In general:
1.5 lbs 2 row pale
1.5 lbs belgian black malt
1.5 flaked barley
9.9 lbs light lme
.5 lbs light dme
1 oz Columbus 60
.75 z Chinook 30
3 vanilla beans 0 min
Irish mosd
Wlp 007

I was at he lhbs he other day looking for black patent and was told it also goes by black malt now. Maybe black patent is what you need.

Thanks Frito. I guess I will hold of msking it until I figure this out. It's too expensive a bill to get a wrong ingredient.

In general:
1.5 lbs 2 row pale
1.5 lbs belgian black malt
1.5 flaked barley
9.9 lbs light lme
.5 lbs light dme
1 oz Columbus 60
.75 z Chinook 30
3 vanilla beans 0 min
Irish mosd
Wlp 007

Taking your recipe;
The brew wiki tells us that 1 lb base malt is equal to .75 lb LME, this means that if you were brewing the same recipe as an AG batch you would need 13.2 lb of base malt.
Also then brew wiki says that .8 lb DME is equal to 1 lb LME, this means that you are looking at about another pound of base malt to replace the DME.

The reason that I am saying at this is that it seems to me like you should read your recipe as if it has a grain bills of 18.7 lb (about right for a stout). Looking at it this way the belgian black malt is 8% of your recipe (not 30% like you stated) this still isn't the 3-5% that is recommended for the Carafa III but considering it is a stout I would say that it is close enough.

Hopefully this helps. From many hours spent reading this forum I always love Yooper's input on recipe formulation. If you really want another opinion I might try to private message her.

Thanks. However, I'm confused because when you look at carafa III it says it should be 1-5% of grain bill. The 1.5 lbs the recipe calls for should be bout 30% of the grain bill. That seems problematic. I'm I making this too difficult?

It's not 30%. This is a partial mash recipe and you have to figure in the extract. The extract is equivalent to 13-14 lbs of grain so that black malt is in the 6-7% range.

Here is the all-grain as I put it into beersmith.

Recipe: Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout
Brewer: Corey Shoemaker
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.74 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.117 SG
Estimated Color: 43.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 56.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.20 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 79.5 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 6.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.8 %
1.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] - Boil 60. Hop 4 39.6 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 30.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 16.4 IBUs
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 7 -
1 lbs 8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil for 2 min]( Sugar 8 6.8 %
10.00 oz Lactose (Boil 0.0 mins) Other 9 -
3.00 Items Vanilla Bean (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1.00 tsp Cardamom Powder, Ground (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 11 -
2.0 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) [12 Yeast 12 -

Mash Schedule: ST Creme Brulee Stout
Total Grain Weight: 22 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash Step Add 22.01 qt of water at 173.4 F 155.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.20 gal water at 175.0 F
Notes:
------
Single infusion mash. Mix the crushed grains with 5 gallons of 174* water to stabilize at 155*F for 60 minutes. Sparge slowtly with 175*F water. Collect approximately 6 gallons of wort runoff to boil for 60 minutes. * Add sugar (last 2 minutes). Add the vanilla beans (split and deseeded) and cardamom at the end of the boil. Let rest for 20 minutes and remove vanilla beans. Cool to 75*F, pitch yeast and aerate heavily. Ferment at 68*. Transfer to a carboy, avoiding any splashing to prevent aerating the beer. Allow the beer to condition for one week and then bottle or keg. Allow the beer to carbonate and age for 2 weeks.

*Caramilzed white cane sugar - place sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until it turns to a thick liquid and becomes a medium amber color. Add to boile wort immediately before it hardens.

Black Malt is Black Patent (not to be confused with Black Barley, which is a very darkly roasted unmalted barley). Carafa III is a dark chocolate malt.

Back