Another Mystery Coffee Bean Exchange!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I didn't make it easy on you shelly_belly. I chose beans close to the same size, and color...except for C! They were darker green and smaller.
A = Legacy Farms, Honduras, Lempira lot 22 full natural...they say "Light hints of chocolate with a great fermented taste that highlights a sweet cherry flavor." I was impressed with all the coffee I got from these folks. I do pick up on more caramel flavor with these mixed with chocolate.
B = Burman Coffee Traders, Colombia, Huila Supremo… they say "A good everyday drinker – this Huila coffee is very smooth with pretty low acidity. A sweeter soft fruit tone at a nice medium roast balancing with a bit of chocolaty nutty factor. Medium bodied at the medium roast mark." This was the first time I purchased from these guys, and this Colombian showcases well with a more chocolate base to me....ymmv....;)
C = Royal Coffee Crown Jewel, Ethiopia, Banko Gotiti Jibicho raised bed double washed they said this "flavors of peach, apricot and jasmine honeysuckle, as well as, grape, hints of raspberry, rose and tropical fruit", as well as this "fruit notes of apricot, plum, blackberry jam, mandarin orange, white peach, and raspberry, in addition to the sparkling acidity of lemon and lime." Not an easy coffee to describe, and it really does depend on the roast profile....I really enjoy how clean and smooth it is, and I get a mild chocolate, peach (every once in a while it reminds me more of nectarine), hints of red berry (can't decide between strawberry and raspberry), and a very soft rose in the way backdrop.
Now the fun part!!! You get to see what you get on your roasts!!! Hope you enjoyed.

I should have gotten the Honduran right as that is what I've been drinking for the past week. Of course my roast is a lot darker than yours. The Honduran is one of the few that I'm able to get to second crack in the popcorn popper without it burning. At this roast level it's more chocolate tasting with fruit jam and cinnamon. I also won't be able to get a uniform light roast until the temperatures get back down below 40F.

One of the neat things I've found out doing these swaps and receiving some of the same beans that I have roasted is that the different roasting machines can impart (or not) different flavors to the same bean. That's pretty cool and will influence what I purchase down the road.

This is fun!

@shelly_belly I’m glad you’re enjoying this trade! I too find it so much fun.
Tomorrow I’m going to make some of your beans with the aero press and then give my answer/guess to what region those beans are from.
I will say I brewed it again in the Bonavita drip and still got the earthy and woody character. Maybe some nuttiness too but it wasn’t as present.
I can’t wait to roast the beans later this week and see what I get from them.

@jimyson your package left this morning and should be to you by Wednesday. There is something in the box that you don’t get in the mail everyday and I’m curious on its condition when you get it. You’re kinda my beta tester/Cavia porcellus for future mailings.

Received the beans in the mail today HTB! Thank you! The package was fairly beat up...but still contained everything. I will most likely wait for the weekend to try them, to ensure they get the attention and focus needed and not the get up and go-go slam it down in the morning rush mode coffee.

@Br3w4u, Got the beans, brewed two days straight. Both days it's been the "A" beans.

First day I want light on the coffee/water ratio. SOLID blueberries. It was very bright, which I think is acidic. I do get that typically when I do a light roast. Second day I used more coffee and the cup had a richer flavor (which I like) but the blueberry was subdued. I could smell it on the first sip, but then it was gone.

Anyway, my guess: Africa. Ethiopia.

Tomorrow I'll brew the "?" coffee. Looking forward to it.

upload_2019-10-7_21-13-47.png

BTW, it looks like everybody here is a better roaster than I am. The beans I've received always are exceptional. I roasted tonight (for my recipient) and it's uneven, and there is chaff sticking to some beans. Gawd.

Need to borrow one of my chaff lickers? Ones on the way to @jimyson, but I have 3 more. This was Half Pint warming up while I was roasting.
62004250-0C6D-41AA-A090-0897AEE77DC3.jpeg

@Br3w4u, Got the beans, brewed two days straight. Both days it's been the "A" beans.

First day I want light on the coffee/water ratio. SOLID blueberries. It was very bright, which I think is acidic. I do get that typically when I do a light roast. Second day I used more coffee and the cup had a richer flavor (which I like) but the blueberry was subdued. I could smell it on the first sip, but then it was gone.

Anyway, my guess: Africa. Ethiopia.

Tomorrow I'll brew the "?" coffee. Looking forward to it.

View attachment 647313
I’m glad you like it. That was the legacy farms honey process bourbon. I usually go with a darker roast on that one and I get a smooth chocolate flavor. I don’t have the best palate though. The ? is a blend that I made up. I like it a lot. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

I hope to never receive a package from you for one of these exchanges. My wife would absolutely love to have another kitty but the two we have are plenty!

On the contrary! (Unless there is a cat in the bread, or he is trying to poison all OSU fans [emoji23])

Tell me more about this loaf, @Inkleg!

Looking forward to the A & B trials. And of course the beer. [emoji6]

IMG_7325.JPG

@shelly_belly I’m having a cup from your beans made with my French press. I still get a nice earthy and woody character from it. Maybe even a little leather and tobacco too. No acidity and very smooth.
With that bean said I’m going to guess it’s a South American bean. How far off am I? Haha

Haha it made it! I've been working on my bread recipes. That one is 400g AP flour, 400g Bread flour, 200g whole wheat, 19g salt and my sour dough starter I've named John Dough. It came out of the oven Sunday morning with its sister loaf, cooled, sealed up and now it's in Ohio.

I have other friends that have been asking when they are receiving bread from me so I thought I'd use this opportunity to see how it mails. I'm more curious about your thoughts on the bread than the coffee. :D

Sorry there's no cat in the box. Maybe next time. ;)

Haha it made it! I've been working on my bread recipes. That one is 400g AP flour, 400g Bread flour, 200g whole wheat, 19g salt and my sour dough starter I've named John Dough. It came out of the oven Sunday morning with its sister loaf, cooled, sealed up and now it's in Ohio.

I have other friends that have been asking when they are receiving bread from me so I thought I'd use this opportunity to see how it mails. I'm more curious about your thoughts on the bread than the coffee. :D

Sorry there's no cat in the box. Maybe next time. ;)

I’m no bread expert, but it passed the Kerrygold test! Now I’m thinking it’ll be a beef stew weekend. This bread will sop up some serious juice. Nice work. The crust was thick and chewy with an airy inside. A nice balance of flavors. Nothing too sour.

It also shipped perfectly. Slightly moist out of the packaging (in a good way).

Thank you for sending it.

@pshankstar Not too far off. It's Kenya Nyeri Ichamama. I like that dark roast for espresso shots. You might try a lighter roast to get some floral and fruit out of it. Thank you for putting this trade together. Enjoy!

https://royalcoffee.com/product/cj1287/

So close!! Haha I think I will try to roast the beans lighter to see what they are like that way.
I’m happy to organize this trade and maybe I’ll try to do another one after the holidays. Unless there’s interest in one before hand.
With that being said, please leave feedback on HBT for the person who sent you the beans. I still need to leave @shelly_belly feedback myself.

Well, I have been sampling the "A" bean for 2 days. Yesterday I did a pour over with my Chemex, and used the Technivorm this morning. Both produced solid cups of coffee with notes of chocolate coming through more with the mochamaster brew. Muted fruits with a citrus twist. Both styles had a fair amount of acidity, and the Chemex brew made me think of an acid very similar to the mouth feel of tomato soup. The size of the bean is medium to smallish. I am probably way off, but I am thinking this may be an African bean...
Have not tried the bonus beans yet HTB...but will soon.

@Ruint you are correct with Africa. When you would like me to give the big reveal just say so and I'll share!

Tomato soup.... Has me wondering what I did there hahaha.

LoL...it has the same acidity....or feel to it....not flavor!!! I am happy if I was in the correct vicinity!! You can share the particulars, at least for "A". Maybe a Kenyan...?

@Ruint the A bean is Ethiopia Uraga Hana Asrat Tilhun (pretty good work sir!). I've picked up floral flavors and a citrus like sweetness from it, fairly complex, and get different flavors when I brew it.

I tried the A beans from @Inkleg today. Wow, the caffeine rush compared to my daily was incredible. I roast darker, so that is likely part of the reason. The beans had an earthy aroma and flavor with maybe a slight bakers chocolate in there. I’m not one to sense individual characteristics but it was a good cup. Nothing stood out over the other and definitely wasn’t acidic as I was expecting with the roast level. I enjoyed this through drip today. Looking forward to trying some other methods.

Looking at the grind, I suppose I need to check my grinder for alignment.

Also, in my typical fashion, I’ll be roasting and sending my coffee out last minute. My basement Reno has taken up a lot of time and space.

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

Good morning HBT coffee crew! First @pshankstar tell your chaff licker they are doing a great job as the beans are very clean. :D

I took bean B to work yesterday. 65g coffee to a liter of water 202* through Behmor drip. It was coffee, good coffee at that. What I mean is that nothing stood out, no berry, no coco, no road kill just a good cup of coffee that anyone would like. Slight acidic bite when warm, that dissipated as it cooled. My coworker who I make coffee for and have converted from cream and sugar to enjoying a good cup of black coffee had the same thoughts as he enjoyed it. He's been my coffee Cavia porcellus for two years now and has become quite knowledgeable. When I ask where he thought this coffee might have come from he said Costa Rica which I had thought also. Hopefully we're both right.

Bean A was brewed as a pour over through a paper filter this morning. 22g coffee to 333g (because coffee is only half evil) of 204* water. Floral on the nose with a slight berry in the cup. More of a tart strawberry not sweet blueberry. Some coco came through towards the end as it cooled. My initial guess is Keyna on this, but want to run it by Jay at work.

Bead C was Areo press. 18g coffee 222g? 202* water 4 minute steep with a 45 second press. Very earthy smell on the nose and in the cup. Kinda falling between a PNG and Sumatran which I really enjoy. I'm guessing Cuban on this one! Thank you for sharing this one.

Good morning HBT coffee crew! First @pshankstar tell your chaff licker they are doing a great job as the beans are very clean. :D

I took bean B to work yesterday. 65g coffee to a liter of water 202* through Behmor drip. It was coffee, good coffee at that. What I mean is that nothing stood out, no berry, no coco, no road kill just a good cup of coffee that anyone would like. Slight acidic bite when warm, that dissipated as it cooled. My coworker who I make coffee for and have converted from cream and sugar to enjoying a good cup of black coffee had the same thoughts as he enjoyed it. He's been my coffee Cavia porcellus for two years now and has become quite knowledgeable. When I ask where he thought this coffee might have come from he said Costa Rica which I had thought also. Hopefully we're both right.

Bean A was brewed as a pour over through a paper filter this morning. 22g coffee to 333g (because coffee is only half evil) of 204* water. Floral on the nose with a slight berry in the cup. More of a tart strawberry not sweet blueberry. Some coco came through towards the end as it cooled. My initial guess is Keyna on this, but want to run it by Jay at work.

Bead C was Areo press. 18g coffee 222g? 202* water 4 minute steep with a 45 second press. Very earthy smell on the nose and in the cup. Kinda falling between a PNG and Sumatran which I really enjoy. I'm guessing Cuban on this one! Thank you for sharing this one.

I like your assessments and appreciate the feedback! Until you submit your final answers on A & B I’ll keep quiet. But you nailed C as the Cuban beans!!!
I need to roast more for myself to try in the aero press @shelly_belly sent me. Its good in the French Press and my cheap espresso machine. Very boring in the drip so don’t waste it on that.
I’m glad you liked my package too and keep enjoying my beans. LOL Oh and the few beers too.

I roasted another batch of the gesha. I did everything the same and first crack took a long time again. This time I went 1 minute over first crack and it changed the flavor quite a bit. The roast flavor is very forward and it overwhelms the floral notes. Still has the tea like mouthfeel . I think I liked the first batch better just because it had more of those unique flavors.

Back