Another Hops Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrdhyn

Reaction score
I just got the ok to purchase up to three pounds of hops in bulk due to the low prices going on at hopsdirect right now. I brew/am most interested in bitters, pale ales, and stouts; I plan on using this bulk buy as an excuse to pick up a barely crusher and some bulk MO and other grains around Christmas. With that said, here's what I'm thinking:

1) EKG or Fuggle - These should work for both bitters and stouts
2) Cascades or Amarillo - APA/IPA territory
3) ????

What do you guys think?

I don't make many British beers, but if you do, either EKG or fuggles is a good choice.

I bought several pounds myself. I bought amarillo, cascades (for my APAs and IPAs), northern brewer (California common and for some German beers), and magnum. The magnum is great for bittering- at it's at nearly 14 AAUs so you don't need much! I bought some Willamette, too- but I don't know what I'm going to do with them. They were about $9/pound and I just couldn't resist.

Magnum is a German bittering hop, but it's "clean" so I use it for IPAs and APAs, too.

If you think about the beers you like and the styles you hope to make, picking the hops you want is pretty easy!

Yeah, I thought about getting some Magnum, but I've never used them personally so I'm kinda torn on that.

edit: Maybe I'll get fuggle, ekg, and something for pale ales. I've got a bitter recipe I want to toy with and tons of hops for it would be most excellent.

Back