Another Head Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpt222

Reaction score
I brewed a Pale Ale recently that never seemed to have a good head. I always used clean glassware, but would only get maybe 1/8 inch of head. Also there was a fair amount of chill haze. These were aged from 3-4 weeks and then chilled several days before drinking.

Well, I left one to chill for about 2-3 weeks (about 5 weeks in the bottle) before opening the other night. This sucker had a nice 1 inch head that stayed for most of the drink. The beer was almost crystal clear and the sharp bitterness tasted before was now nice and mellow!!

So, my question is does the potential for head retention increase with age? Anyone else experience something similar? After this finding I basically put the rest of my batch to lager in the fridge.

Some of my beers have more head as they age, some less. Mainly the darker beers that get better.

Sounds like you've re-discovered some other advantages of conditioning.;)

Latest posts

Back