Another Glass Top Stove Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I searched and read many threads about glass top stoves, and aluminum vs SS pots. I've been brewing with a twenty quart aluminum canner on my new Matag Glass Top stove. It boils 4.5 gallons pretty well, I have to turn it down some when it reaches a full boil. I recently bought a 35 qt SS pot, it wouldn't boil, even with only two gallons. In addition to different metal and larger volume, the new pot was much wider. The aluminum pot has a narrower bottom than it's outer diameter, so all of it fits on the element. The newer SS pot, with a thick sandwich bottom, overlaps the element by more than an inch all around. It also had a very slight arc to the bottom, not good contact. The stove is electronic, the elements pulse, there is some kind of sensor. I returned the pot due to the arced bottom. But before I buy another, I'd like to hear from other glass top brewers. I plan to find a narrower pot, and hope that helps. Has anyone had success on a glass top with SS? How much faster is aluminum? Thanks.

This doesn't answer your question, but I work in the appliance industry and I have heard that canning on glass tops can crack the glass due to the large pot hanging past the element. I would think brewing would have the same threat depending on the diameter of your pot. I would be cautious of this because the glass top is very expensive to replace if it breaks!

Whaddyaknow? I too have canned on my Maytag glasstop electric stove with an aluminum 20qt canner. Never boiled 4.5 gallons though. I have a 20qt SS pot that has a stupid indent in the center on the bottom that doesn't allow me to boil 2 gallons, something I'd like to use for small test batches. Worked fine on the old electric coil stove but not now. I'm looking to get a small 12qt aluminum pot. I'm thinking I'll strike out with SS if I go with that like you. Best of luck!

BMD, that's one of my concerns, so whatever I buy will stay within the lines.
14thSt, I bought the Sears Canner-Cooker years ago at a yard sale, but never used it for canning. It did come in handy when I started brewing. If your stove has a triple element or speed heat, it should do well up to 4.5g at least. Mine boils well in that 20qt canner.

I get 7 gallons to a rolling boil in a stainless double bottom pot on my whirlpool (maytag) glass top. I've done close to a hundred batches... no signs of deterioration of the seal around the glass top. The pot over hangs the element, but the stove is throwing the biggest amount of heat we could find, and runs like a champ.

-edit- the bottom of the pot is very flat and kept perfectly clean, as is the top, for the best contact.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-8-gallon-Brew-Kettle/7029866/product.html

That's the brew kettle I use on my flat electric stove. I've always had great success. I've brewed about 150 gallons - 5 gallon batches... Not one single problem. I'm able to bring 6-7 gallons to a rolling boil without any issues. Of course, I do have to reduce the temp a bit when the boil begins. From 10 to about 9.5 on the dial. Get a great hot break and a really good rolling boil.

I use a bayou classic 1144 SS pot on my GE glass top stove and frequently start preboil with almost 7.5 Gallons. I also turn it down (8.5-9) once I reach boil. Time from sparge to boil is about 30 minutes (from ~150F to boil). The pot overhangs the burner by about 1/2" on all sides (so not too much).

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not going to propane, we don't have a garage, and I mostly brew at night, on cold or rainy days. Not going outside.
Nice pot Carter! A bit over the top for me, as I BIAB. But I'll bet the other Bayou Classic pots have similar dimensions.

Back