Another Fruit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBQBrew

Reaction score
I'm going to make a Raspberry Wheat and I picked up supplies at my local homebrew store. He suggested adding the 3lbs of Raspberry puree at the end of the boil. I have read many threads on this subject and it seems that everyone is adding the puree to the secondary. Do you think I should put the puree in the primary or secondary and why?

Thanks for the help.

blackcat_brewery.gif

I think it'll finish dryer if you put it through the primary. You should retain a little more sweetness adding it to your secondary.

That's what I've gathered, not firsthand experience. FWIW.

Secondary gets my vote,Or as sam states above adding at the end of the boil may have a dryer finish.

There are pros and cons to both.

Primary less chance of infection, If seeped with wort. The pectein may be a issue. the pectein can be pulled back out with a additive.
Secondary, less pectein, fruit taste may or may not be stronger. You will get a secondary fermention. This may require a 3rd racking to age and clear.

I plan on doing both to get a strong flavor in my honeydew brew.

Latest posts

Back