Another First Brew Story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infestation

Reaction score
I am proud to say the yesterday I performed my first homebrew yesterday. Nothing special, just a very basic stout. I had done a lot of research previously, so I think I was well enough prepared. I just couldn’t prepare for my own stupidity. It did however, result in a pretty funny resolution, so I thought I would share it here.

Recipe:

3 kg sparklingamber DME

0.23 kg Crystal 60 malt

0.23 kg Crystal 120 malt

0.3k black patent malt

0.2k roasted barley

1.8 oz golding at 60 min, 1 oz golding at 15 min.

The boil went really smoothly. I had heard enough about boil overs to know to be extremely cautious. The fun began after the boil. No, not the usual it took me x hours to cool my wort down to temp. I had found a sink large enough and earlier I cut a 4L milk jug in half and filled both with water and threw them into the freezer. Boom instant ice bath.

By the time I had got my bucket out, filled with sanitizer and eagerly tore open the packing on my siphon, tubing and fancy wine thief, the pot was cool. So I grabbed my yeast from the fridge and rehydrated it in warm water as per instructions. I figured I would be done in 15 minutes. I assembled my auto siphon and went to siphon the wort over to my carboy. I got a few drops then nothing. Tried again. And again and again. Here is about the time that I forgot the golden rule of homebrewing, DWHAHB. Thinking my wort would be instantly infected, I started panicking.

I should have calmly walked back to my siphon packaging and seeing that little red cap, the one that goes on the end and prevents clogging and provides a good seal. Instead, I yanked the siphon and tubing out of the kettle and fermenter, instantly splattering myself, the floor and, yes, a carpet with a liberal coating of nice chunky wort. Holding a few feet of dripping hose, I dropped in the only place I could think of, my sanitizing bucket. I know had a delightfully brown sanitizer-wort solution, complete with floating chunks.

I decided it was a mess, but probably a sanitized mess, so I decided to continue. I reassembled my siphon, again not seeing the little red cap inches from my face. Of course, it doesn’t work. Giving up, I removed the siphon, somewhat more elegantly this time. I didn’t have a funnel large enough, until inspiration struck. I grabbed one of those plastic, flexible cutting boards and a roommate.

I dunked the cutting board into my wort-sanitizer solution then had my roommate roll the cutting board into a cone and place it into the carboy. I then proceeded to poor my wort through, yes a cutting board, into my carboy. Finally, I had it transferred. I then started topping up with water, until I realized that I hadn’t marked the 23L mark on my fermenter. Screw it, I just filled it up till what looked right. Then I promptly took my OG measurement.

I became thoroughly depressed when my OG came out as 1.030 instead of the target 1.049. Thinking that my batch was ruined, I pitched my yeast that had been starving in tap water for about an hour to an hour in a half at this point. And then I realized, I never mixed the carboy. I added a whole bunch of water, and the thick wort was still at the bottom. That’s why my OG was wrong. So I promptly gave my yeast a roller coaster ride as I aerated my carboy that likely did more harm than good.

In the end, after about 24 hours, it looks like there are signs of yeast activity. I am excited to see how this turns out. Cheers.
Fermentation.jpg

clip_image002.jpg

Attachments

• Fermentation.jpg
    Fermentation.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 44
Sounds like a brew to remember lol. You'll have beer to drink soon . It seems no matter what something goes a little sideways for my own brews . Just learning as we go . This is a really good forum , you will learn a lot .

If you added water to the wort, your OG reading shouldn't be off due to the wort hanging out at the bottom, they'll mix. You'll have a lower ABV than you targeted, but I'm willing to bet it's still tasty.

Congratulations on your great first adventure in homebrewing - definitely a story you'll remember! My first attempt I was going line-by-line on the instructions. I added the hops, went to read the next line and had a boil over. After scraping the hops off the side of the pot and putting them back in, the next line in the instructions warned of a boil over. It was still one of my tastiest brews, but not one I've wanted to replicate. :)

If there is any question about how a new/different piece of equipment is going to function, like a siphon, I've always tested it with water first, before brew day, so I know exactly how it is going to work on game day.

As far as the cutting board, all mine are covered in little scratches from cutting on it, and I'm sure bacteria love to hide in there. Hopefully you are ok; it is what it is now. Looks like your fermentation has started. Good luck.

Congrats on the debut brew - you'll always remember your debut batch. Even if the beer turns out to be fair, you'll be proud that YOU MADE IT and most importantly - you learned and had fun. That's what a hobby is for. Cheers!

If you added water to the wort, your OG reading shouldn't be off due to the wort hanging out at the bottom, they'll mix. You'll have a lower ABV than you targeted, but I'm willing to bet it's still tasty.

The wort is so much denser than the water that they do not mix easily. It's pretty common for people to report a very low or very high OG depending on where the sample is taken.

Great story! I’m sure your brew will be delicious.

Back