Another fermintation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator777

Reaction score
Got another newbie question. I did an American Pale Ale I added an extra pound of DME to it so instead of the calculated 1.051-1.055 I kept it at 1.070. Much higher. So I brewed last night no signs of fermenting until this afternoon. It's very slow compared the weizenbier. Should I let it ride or maybe pitch more yeast say like tomorrow? And well it effect anything being the sugar so high? Will the yeast run out of stamina before they eat all the sugar?

You can use websites like brewersfriend.com and others to see how much yeast you'll need for certain beers.

Patience. Let it ride. Always let it ride. 24 hours before visible signs is perfectly acceptable and actually quite respectable. Actually it's damned fast. Not all beers are explosive immediate fermenters.

Wheat yeasts are always show-offs. They're the Chuck Norris of beer yeasts.

If it's going, like everyone said, let it keep doing it's thing. When fermentation indicators like your airlock start to slow, keep a close eye on it. If you notice your gravity holding a point much higher than normal, > 1.020 say, then you can get some new yeast in there.

What yeast did you pitch? I'm assuming you pitched one package? That'd account for taking 12-18 hours to show visible signes of fermentation. Quite a respectable average,actually. It just takes x amount of time for the yeast to go through the reproductive phase (hence the need for oxygenating the wort) before visible fermentation begins.
When the rapid airlock bubbling slows down or stops,only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there. Another 3-7 days for it to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then it's packaging time!:mug:

unionrdr said:
What yeast did you pitch? I'm assuming you pitched one package? That'd account for taking 12-18 hours to show visible signes of fermentation. Quite a respectable average,actually. It just takes x amount of time for the yeast to go through the reproductive phase (hence the need for oxygenating the wort) before visible fermentation begins.
When the rapid airlock bubbling slows down or stops,only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there. Another 3-7 days for it to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then it's packaging time!:mug:

Yes I pitched I think it was landstar a dry yeast that came with my kit. A brewers best kit that is. California something or other was the type not so much the brand if I'm correct. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back