Another fermentation chamber :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Hi all

I've started to build a Ferm. chamber
It's got 2 chambers, one for cool etc & the other heat... It's 3'6" x 3'6" x 4" enough for 2 fermenters each side
I have yet to fit the insulating (2" foil ), I have 2 stc controllers ready to fit.
I've got the fridge to gut for the cool side and am wondering what to use for the heat source?
I was thinking of a heat pad for under the fermenter or maybe a heat lamp (if there's going to be more then one at a time....)

Any help would be great

image-858437745.jpg

image-1292860240.jpg

I would go with the heat pad. You can place it under the fermenter or wrap the fermenter. The light would not be my top choice because you want the chamber to be free of light to protect the yeast.

Lightbulb is fine for heat as long as it will throw enough out. Just wrap the bulb in foil if you're worried about UV.

These are more expensive than the light bulb in a can but are non light heating coils for reptiles. They work great for larger spaces or with a temp controller.

BrewingReverend said:
These are more expensive than the light bulb in a can but are non light heating coils for reptiles. They work great for larger spaces or with a temp controller.

I thought about them too. Probably a cheaper idea if I put 2 fermenters in, which I probably will

Here's a couple more pictures of the build.
I put a project box-shelf at the back to house the STC 1000 on either side. Each side of the box-shelf I put a double socket and an on/off switch for the heating & cooling equipment (controlled by STC). Each side has enough room for 2/3 fermenters (2 33L ale pales or 3 6 gal carboys)

Next up is to install & test that the fridge unit & heat lamp/pad are working. Then it's time to insulate and seal the complete unit and get the temps set. The back, sides & roof will be insulated from inside, the floor will be insulated from underneath so as not to get damaged by heavy fermenters (I used 2x2 to frame the unit and the insulating will sit into the frame)

Paint and slap a few stickers on
Then it's time to put it to use. :)

image-2244065041.jpg

image-1385743148.jpg

image-2696821278.jpg

image-3153127619.jpg

Update...
I painted and varnished the surface to protect from spills etc. I also decided to go with an infrared (teranium) lamp for heat, thanks to brewing reverend. The. 2" foil backed insulating board being installed this week.

Installed the insulation today. My ceramic heat lamp arrived also today and I began breaking down the old fridge unit aswell.... Just need to install the cold and heat now and finish the wiring and she's good to go..:)pics to follow

Looks good :), doing something similar myself, found a guy who makes kitchen cabinets, and its the exact right rize, i just have to insulate, and control my heatpad :), maybe use an aquarium heater for heating the whole cabinet area. its just a single so far, but the guy makes them, so i might get another one same size in near future and create what you have done :).
Are you finished, pics would be great :)

crusader1612 said:
Looks good :), doing something similar myself, found a guy who makes kitchen cabinets, and its the exact right rize, i just have to insulate, and control my heatpad :), maybe use an aquarium heater for heating the whole cabinet area. its just a single so far, but the guy makes them, so i might get another one same size in near future and create what you have done :).
Are you finished, pics would be great :)

Sorry for delay, I was busy organizing the opening of my pub. It's working a treat, I've had one batch of dark lager turn out great and a batch of hobgoblin clone conditioning. The temp swing is only .5c either way. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance :)

Back