another Belgian Wit recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscbo1

Reaction score
So, I just got into HB , this being my 3rd ever (Look at the "Introductions" thread for my first post ever)
I went to my LHBS in search of a Witbier kit (Brewers Best) and they were out of them. My LHBS had a truck coming in the next day with tons of ingredients and kits, but I wanted to get going on this right away.
Our store is run by a local brewer that won the Letter of Marque in '10 for Heavy Seas http://***********.com/beer-news/heavy-seas-letter-of-marque-2011-release/
So without a kit, I went with his own recipe for a Belgian Witbier
Its fermenting as I type now in the Primary

Tell me what you think....

2 1/2 gallons of water with
Steep
24 oz of Flaked Wheat
24 oz of Flaked Oats for 45 mins at a temperature of 148-155
Remove and drain the steeping bag
Bring to a boil
Add 3 lbs extra light DME
Add 3 lbs of wheat DME
Seep 1 0z of Styrian Goldings Hop Pellets for 60 mins
After 40 mins of boil add
1 oz of Styrian hop pellets to steeping bag
After 45 mins into the boil add
1 oz of Bitter Orange Peel and
1/2 oz of crushed Corriander for the remaining 15 mins of boil
Cool to 80 degrees then transfer to Primary
Top off to 5 gal with chilled water
Pitch Yeast (Safebrew S-33) Stirred Gentle

I plan on primary fermenting for 1 week, then transferring into secondary for another week. Bottling for an additional 2 weeks before trying one out.
I've read that many people let it sit in the secondary for 2-3 weeks. What are you veterans thinking?

Looks good, very similar to recipe I did from Jamil's book. I added 1g of dried chamomile flower and used sweet orange peel. I think you will like what you have made.

I pondered the thought of using a tsp of ground clove when popping my coriander seeds but thought I might regret it. I did however mash up two whole cloves. I don't think it will make any difference, but I can say I added a hint.

Sounds good! ginger, lime, and lemon is sounding like Starr Hills Lucy beer, which I like, and they no longer make. The reviews of that particular beer wasn't that great. But too each their own I guess, cheers!

Sounds good! ginger, lime, and lemon is sounding like Starr Hills Lucy beer, which I like, and they no longer make. The reviews of that particular beer wasn't that great. But too each their own I guess, cheers!

I read something once that said you should know there is something there making the beer special, but if you can taste a particular spice/herb it was overdone.

Update :

I may be biased, but this is the best Wit I've ever had. It's winter, yet it was 60 degrees out. I know this is a summer brew, but it was damn good while I was grilling steaks tonight!

Back