Anecdotally, how much sweetness do strawberries add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
G'day everyone!

A little history: I've been brewing beer for years, made a few batches of white and red wine, and am on my third batch of mead.

Without getting into the gory details, my third batch of mead is getting ready to move to secondary and I would like to add some strawberries. The sweetness is just about perfect right now and I don't want it to get much sweeter at all. If I add 5 pounds of frozen and thawed strawberries to a secondary does anyone have any thoughts on how much, anecdotally of course, it will increase the sweetness?

Thanks so much! The last one helped me win my companies brewing competition, along with my beer, I am hoping to up my game:)

None- the sugars ferment out unless the mead is already at or near its alcohol tolerance.

Strawberries actually have quite a bit of acidity, and strawberry wine is quite tart when not sweetened after fermentation.

Exactly what I was hoping for, Yooper. Thank you! I think I'm completely fermented out so if anything I was hoping for a little tart to even back down the sugar a little. I will give it a whirl! As long as it doesn't make it sweeter.

Back