Anderson Valley Summer Solstice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
I came across this beer in Chicago and my wife absolutely loved it. Of course a happy wife means a happy homebrewer! I'm looking for a clone recipe. I came across a few older threads on HBT and an article from BYO magazine that contain the following recipe, but this doesn't exactly match up with the ingredient listing on AV website. I was wondering if anyone has brewed a clone of this or knows where i could find it?
Cheers

Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema
SummerSolstice

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.053 FG = 1.011 IBU = 5 SRM = 19 ABV = 5.6%

David Galtin, head brewer, Anderson Valley Brewing Co.: “It’s a different brew, that’s for sure.”

Ingredients
7 lb. 14 oz. (3.6 kg) 2-row pale malt
13 oz. (0.38 kg) crystal malt (40 °L)
11 oz. (0.30 kg) crystal malt (80 °L)
2.3 AAU Cascade hops (15 mins) (0.45 oz./13 g of 5% alpha acids)
Wyeast 2112 (California Lager) or White Labs WLP810 (San Francisco Lager) yeast

Step by Step
Mash at 150 °F (66 °C). 90 minute boil. Ferment at 65 °F (18 °C). (Note: Anderson Valley adds the hops at knockout and lets them steep in the whirlpool. If you do this, let them steep for at least 20 minutes.)

Keep in mind that that homebrew recipe from BYO was from the actual brewer at that brewery, so I would take that as the best recipe out there.

I brewed this two years ago and then last spring for summer drinking.
My first attempt was pretty good, my second try wasn't as good, I was careless with the yeast and had some other issues. I'm not at home and don't have my brewing notes, but I'll put them in tomorrow.
A quick google search turned up this version from HBT:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198631

I brewed this two years ago and then last spring for summer drinking.
My first attempt was pretty good, my second try wasn't as good, I was careless with the yeast and had some other issues. I'm not at home and don't have my brewing notes, but I'll put them in tomorrow.
A quick google search turned up this version from HBT:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198631
Appreciate it. I found that thread too. Assuming it's for a 5g batch. I'm also wondering about using US-05 instead of lager yeast

Thanks to everyone on HBT who offers up knowledge and advice to new brewers like myself. This forum has been a great learning tool. Another question I have is about the hop schedule for this recipe. Every beer I've brewed to this point has had a 60 hop addition. According to beersmith if I add the hops at knockout and whirlpool I don't get any ibu. A similar version of this recipe calls for only a 15 minute addition. Gets me to about 8 ibu

that's correct. this beer is meant to be sweet/maltly - reviews use descriptions like vanilla and creamy. It's the antithesis of hopped up American Pale Ales. The late addition is meant to add a touch of hop spiciness and flavor to compliment the malts

Knock out and whirlpool are usually for commercial brewers who need a lot of time to cool down their beers so the hops are steeping at pretty high temperatures. As home brewers, we can cool down much faster preserving the flavor and aroma of hops.

As hops are in the boil, they go from adding aroma to adding flavor to adding bitterness. By 60 minutes they lose much of the aroma flavor and are mostly bettering the beer. That is why we add hops in stages.

if the original recipe from the brewer calls for the california common yeast, then i'd go with that. you dont have to ferment it super cold, maybe 55-65F. this will make it have the characteristic "yeastiness" like a steam beer...really helps accentuate the malt!

if the original recipe from the brewer calls for the california common yeast, then i'd go with that. you dont have to ferment it super cold, maybe 55-65F. this will make it have the characteristic "yeastiness" like a steam beer...really helps accentuate the malt!

The reason for asking is that my brewing window is pick up supplies Thursday evening and brew Saturday morning. I won't have time to make a starter for the 2112 and would like to avoid having to buy 2 packs. Was thinking 05 might be a good substitute. Maybe I could get by just pitching one pack of 2112.

...or maybe I could combine the harvested 05 in my fridge with one 2112 smack pack?

Brewing Saturday. Adjustments = US-05 in place of 2112 and .25 oz magnum (because I have it on hand) at 15 minutes in place of cascade.

Please post how it comes out, I was going to brew a batch this spring and maybe I'll try a different yeast as well.

Brewed this one today. 2nd all-grain batch. Post mash and OG were way low (8 points) again. Efficiency under 60%. After some research I decided to check the calibration of my thermometer and it is -4.5 degrees off, meaning I just mashed at about 145.5 degrees instead of the 150 I was shooting for. I assume this explains my efficiency issue? Is this just going to make for a dryer beer or can I expect other flavor/fermentation issues. Lesson learned...calibrate thermometer!

Correction. I actually mashed 4.5 degrees hotter than planned. Now I'm really confused about my low efficiency.

I had forgotten about this thread. Update: I have brewed this four times now. It’s definitely a crowd favorite and doesn’t last long. The adjustments I made were
10lbs Pale malt
8oz c40
8oz c80
.25oz Magnum (15 min)
WLP001
.5-.75oz vanilla extract at bottling
I tossed frozen raspberries into the last batch and it turned out awesome.

Latest posts

Back