And for my next brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarrelAgedForrest

Reaction score
Ok so I have done 2 all grain batches now. My first being my mosaic space dust ipa, didn't really get to enjoy it as my keg got killed at NCHF. which was a huge compliment. Next batch just got kegged last weekend and it is my Xocamaybe, named for the attempt at cloning Stone Xocoveza. It turned out absolutely awesome. Like So much better then any of my 3 extract batches I brewed at the beginning of this year. I don't know if it is because I have my Kegging system set up or just because I have gotten temp control or grown as a brewer or what but my beer tastes like great freaking beer now and I love it. And so tonight I went crazy and got a 100 dollar recipe I found online. A massive wee heavy and an attempt to clone one of my favorite beers Backwoods Bastard. Or at the least just make a great wee heavy in general as I love them. So here is the link to the recipe and how this guy did it. Which I'm doing just how he did.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/110077/backwoods-bastard-clone

I basically just wanted to stop in and say thanks for all the help in the beginning. It paid off, Stuff got slow because we bought a home in July, then got engaged, then found out we had a baby on the way, then I got a new job with a career style company and so I want a killer beer to be set up by April and be drinkable when our little man is here.

I remember stouts that filled my 10g Rubbermaid like this...

attachment.php

...and all the tiptoeing through the mash without making a complete mess made me upgrade to a 20g MLT :D

Cheers!

Yup, any huge beer like that you can almost guarantee it's going to go off.
I always start with 1" ID blow-offs, even for middling 50/60 point beers, just out of GPs.

fwiw, I pitched two carboys full of 1.101 stout Saturday using S04, and as that yeast can run rather beastly I kept it throttled to 64°F.
Still ran blow-offs and it was pounding them good :)

Cheers!

I pitched 2 packs of notty and its at 60 degrees and still was going crazy. Was still pumping out trub this morning. Will rouse the yeast back up on Sunday and take a sample to see how it's going. Really want this beer to get into the 30s. Started at 1.108

Congrats on the new house, job, and your baby on the way! Your new beer is off to a great start. That's one full mash tun if I ever saw one! :D Let us know how it turns out.

John

Congrats on the new house, job, and your baby on the way! Your new beer is off to a great start. That's one full mash tun if I ever saw one! :D Let us know how it turns out.

John

Thanks John! You know I will! It's still in the fridge in the garage chugging along. I tapped up the temp a third of a degree to keep it rolling strong. Can't wait to see how this one turns out! I only hope it turns out as well as my winter Stout.

Yes! My Wee heavy is officially in success territory ferment wise. I did the first yeast rousing and took my first reading just now since I just got off work and won't have time tomorrow. OG was 1.108, it's currently sitting at 1.028! So excited! I was gonna be happy if it hit like 1.035. So I'm stoked I'm into the twenties. Gonna let it go another week then crank the temperature.

View attachment 1482557444240.jpg

1.022, it's almost a 13 percent beer. Holy crap! Gonna be a bit before it is really great but even after a week now it is definitely drinkable.

My experience with Notty is it is fast and prone to making a mess if temps rise a bit! I need to scrub my fermenting fridge....

I pitched 2 packs of notty and its at 60 degrees and still was going crazy. Was still pumping out trub this morning. Will rouse the yeast back up on Sunday and take a sample to see how it's going. Really want this beer to get into the 30s. Started at 1.108

So pulled this out of the fermenter Saturday to put my ipa in. It's in the closet at room temperature for another week and then Kegging and adding the oak and bourbon. It officially came down to 1.019. It is a tad over 13 percent abv. Super happy it fermented well,. Good malt forward taste with some mild fruity esters which should blend well with the oak and bourbon. Will continue to update this!

View attachment 1484198017016.jpg

View attachment 1484198036765.jpg

Alright kegged Just a Wee Lad on Saturday, added 2 cups of Knob Creek single batch bourbon and med roast Hungarian oak cubes. Sadly it smelled like ****, literally like diarrhea. Come to find out Nottingham is known for some pretty narly smells and now that it's been on the yeast a couple of days it's smelling wonderful! This one is going to make me proud I'm feeling! Anyone use notty and have weird smells but no undesirable taste attributes? Nose is starting to come out nicely.

Back