An interesting thing floating in my mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsw8148

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have some mead that has been sitting in 4 growlers after primary was done, for about 3 months. Today I went down to check on them and noticed this floating in one of them (pic below). Is this an issue?

It looks like it could be a piece of fruit that got transfered along with the mead, but I'm not sure.

This stuff still has a good deal of floaties in it, would it it hurt it to combine it all back into one container, now that I happen to have some carboys? I have 5 gallon carboys, would that much headspace be ok?

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Is that a mini largemouth bass?

Leaping_Largemouth_Bass87114.jpg

If it was fruit, or something else that came over when you racked, then it's been in since the beginning and was hopefully sanitized, and also it has been sitting in high gravity alcohol, so more than likely it is going to be fine.

At theis point there's nothing you can really do about it anyway...so you might as well relax.

You've already got too much headspace! You don't want any, so racking it back into a five gallon carboy is a very bad idea. Do you have a 3 gallon carboy? You should either use small containers, or top up the mead. Headspace (i.e. oxidation) is the death of mead.

You've already got too much headspace! You don't want any, so racking it back into a five gallon carboy is a very bad idea. Do you have a 3 gallon carboy? You should either use small containers, or top up the mead. Headspace (i.e. oxidation) is the death of mead.

Thanks for the info, I'll just keep them in the growlers and do what I can to eliminate the headspace. Maybe wash some marbles an use them as filler.

Thanks for the info, I'll just keep them in the growlers and do what I can to eliminate the headspace. Maybe wash some marbles an use them as filler.
Which is as good an idea as any, just be careful when putting the marbles in, as it's quite easy to drop them in too high and they just crack the bottom out of the jug.........

And yes, I'd be trying to remove the "fish".....

regards

fatbloke

Is that a mini largemouth bass?

Leaping_Largemouth_Bass87114.jpg

If it was fruit, or something else that came over when you racked, then it's been in since the beginning and was hopefully sanitized, and also it has been sitting in high gravity alcohol, so more than likely it is going to be fine.

At theis point there's nothing you can really do about it anyway...so you might as well relax.

Proof of spontaneous generation after all? :rockin:

He's doing great, I'm finding myself wondering if fish food will hurt the mead at all ;-)

Yeast pee alcohol and fart co2. Fish? Not so much.... I'd worry less about the fish food and worry about the other end of the cycle. :D

Back