Amylo 300 - Belgian Beer such as Golden Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
I know people are using Amylo 300 to get super high attenuation in Brut IPAs. Would this be a good strategy to help with attenuation for beers like Belgian Golden Strongs?

Just curious if anyone has tried this.

I know people are using Amylo 300 to get super high attenuation in Brut IPAs. Would this be a good strategy to help with attenuation for beers like Belgian Golden Strongs?

Just curious if anyone has tried this.
I don’t know how much attenuation you are looking for, but Belgian yeast can get you into the high 80’s pretty easily. Sugars will help dry it out. I don’t thing a BSG needs to be overly dry.

I haven't tried it, but give it a go! I believe Duvel has quite high attenuation, though probably not quite 100 percent AA. Keep in mind that you're likely to get more color and flavor contribution from the malt vs. using sugar as an adjunct. A beer with exogenous enzymes and a beer with sugar, all other things being equal, will be two different beers.

I used White Labs Ultraferm in my last Saison which is, from what I gather, just their brand of Glucoamylase enzyme. It was fermented with Wyeast 3724, (the supposed Dupont strain with a marked reputation for stalling,) and it went from 1.046 down to 1.000 in 12 days. The beer was great, finished dry without being thin. I would definitely recommend an enzyme for a Saison where a bone dry finish is desired. BGSA might be a good candidate too but don't use it in any beer you want to finish higher than 1.000 because it probably won't. I find that 5-20% simple sugar and a relatively low mash temp is enough to get most Belgian ales dry enough. Good luck!

Back