Amount of Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRoth36

Reaction score
So I'm finally going to start doing 10 gallon batches. My question is about yeast. Should I go with two vials/packs and a starter? Or could I get away with one vial and making a starter several times out of it? For example, make a starter at the beginning of the week and mid week make another starter with it and then pitch on the weekend. What are your thoughts?

If I were you, I'd use a program to calculate the amount of yeast you need. there are several online. If you are using liquid yeast you will definitely need a starter, since the vials usually are not enough for a five gallon batch--at least no enough for most.

You can step up a starter--start one on monday and then midweek pitch the yeast cake in it to another starter, or add fresh starter wort to your starter until you get the volume you need. To properly pitch for higher gravity ales you will have no choice to do this, unless you want to use several vials--$$.

Yeah I always make a starter. The making a starter and reputching for another starter midweek was what I was planning on doing. Should I make a larger starter than normal?

if you are making pale ale, or ipa consider dry yeast like US-05, BRY-97, or S-04. heck, they work well for american wheat, porters and stouts too. no starters or extra O2 needed, easy. once fermentation is done you'll have liquid yeast for the next batch/es.

Back