American Wheat yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDoc627

Reaction score
I'm going to be working up an American Wheat recipe soon--is there a good dry wheat yeast out there? What's the favorite liquid variety out there?

Cheers

"It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile." Brewer's proverb

Most American Wheats just use your basic Ale Yeast! Nottingham,US-05,S-04.Would all make a nice tasting American Wheat if you are using dry yeast.

Most American Wheats just use your basic Ale Yeast! Nottingham,US-05,S-04.Would all make a nice tasting American Wheat if you are using dry yeast.

+1 - and ferment it pretty warm if you want some esters.

I love WY1010 in my american wheats, it really leaves a clean profile with just a slight bit of tart fruityness in the backend. That said Notty and US-05 will work as well, but IMO they don't quite measure up.

If you're looking for a real American Wheat (no banana, no bubblegum, dry) I really love the one I just did with WYEAST 1010. SWMBO is still raving.

I would use WLP 001 - Cali Ale yeast or any of the standard dry. I used the cali yeast in my last American Wheat and I am very pleased with it.

There's a flavor in the American Wheat style that comes from the yeast. It's hard to describe, but you know it when you taste it. In my opinion, S-05 or Nottingham would not produce that flavor and the beer would be boring. I brewed an American Wheat a week ago using Wyeast 1010 and the hydrometer sample from yesterday tasted almost spot on. It was a little strong on the esters, but it was only 6 days old, warm, and full of yeast, so I expect it to go from good to great over the next few weeks.

thanks to all for the feedback. I decided to go with the WY1010. I really want to steer clear of the banana/clove profile--nothing worse than an American wheat that tastes like a half-@$$ed Hefe. My opinion anyway. Cheers again brewers.

Back