American Wheat with Pacman?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I'm looking at brewing a wheat with 60% barley malt, 40% white wheat malt, and a clean yeast (not a big fan of the flavors wheat yeasts contribute). I'm also going to add up to 1.5# agave nectar somewhere, probably after most fermentation activity subsides. I have two packs of Pacman yeast on hand, but I'm concerned it'll attenuate too much for the style. Would it work with a wheat? If not, what other non-wheat yeast would you suggest?

I'm looking at brewing a wheat with 60% barley malt, 40% white wheat malt, and a clean yeast (not a big fan of the flavors wheat yeasts contribute). I'm also going to add up to 1.5# agave nectar somewhere, probably after most fermentation activity subsides. I have two packs of Pacman yeast on hand, but I'm concerned it'll attenuate too much for the style. Would it work with a wheat? If not, what other non-wheat yeast would you suggest?

It shouldn't over attenuate. Wheat beers are usually fairly dry.

I have two packs of Pacman yeast on hand, but I'm concerned it'll attenuate too much for the style.
I use Pacman in my American Wheat with excellent results. Last one had an OG of 1.056 and an FG of 1.010. Pushed the limits of the style guidelines for OG, but the Pacman didn't bring it below the 1.008 lower limit. In your case the Agave may dry it out a bit more. At 1-1/2 lbs it'll be around 10% of your fermentables and that could make a difference in final gravity no matter what yeast you use.

This post caught my attention because the last American Wheat I did was my first time using Agave. Very pleased with the results. My bill was 50% wheat and 5% Agave (and Pacman yeast.)

I'd be interested to hear how you make out. Keep us posted.

This post caught my attention because the last American Wheat I did was my first time using Agave. Very pleased with the results. My bill was 50% wheat and 5% Agave (and Pacman yeast.)

Where did you add the agave? I'd like much of the flavor to come through, so I'm considering .5# at flameout and another pound much later, after active fermentation.

Where did you add the agave? I'd like much of the flavor to come through, so I'm considering .5# at flameout and another pound much later, after active fermentation.
For that wheat, I added it when the wort had chilled to 110 degrees after reading this post. But since then, I tried adding it toward the end of fermentation on a different style. There wasn't a noticable difference in taste. I did it mainly to prevent stressing the yeast too early. Made good beer both ways.

Back