American Wheat secondary suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danhauk

Reaction score
Over the weekend I brewed a simple American Wheat with the intention of splitting the batch for secondary for some flavor experimenting.

---

3 gallon recipe:

3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 48.0 %
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 48.0 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 4.0 %
0.84 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.50 %] - Boil 12.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010)

---

I'm thinking I'll split into three 1-gallon batches and try 3 flavors. Watermelon being one I want to try. Any other suggestions (and perhaps tips on how much to use)? It's my first time experimenting with secondary.

1lb frozen raspberries and 1 jalapeño most of the seeds removed halved and roasted in the toaster oven till skin starts to char.

Raspberry sounds like a good choice. Would 1lb per gallon be enough for a distinct but not overwhelming/in-your-face raspberry flavor?

Thats going to be dependent upon the way your base beer finishes and your own personal tastes.

However, 1 lb in one gallon of beer sounds like a lot. Maybe start with a 1/2 lb and see how that tastes after a couple weeks. You can always add more later.

Wild raspberries and blackberries are about to be available to me where I live. I fully plan on brewing up a nice saison and secondary fermenting it for a bit on a wild berry mix.

I was planning on a full 5 gallon batch with 2 to 3 lbs of berries.

I'll definitely start with 1/2 lb. Especially because a full lb will take up a big percentage of the 1-gallon jug, so I'd really have closer to 3/4 gallon anyway. Thanks for the help!

Another option that I like with an american wheat is to dry hop with some citra hops.

Latest posts

Back