American Wheat Recipe... Please critique.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
Here it is:

5 lb US Pale
4 lb US White Wheat
1 lb US Munich 10L

60 mins - .50 oz Hersbrucker
60 mins - .50 oz Tettnnang

Last 15 mins of boil:

.25 oz Coriander
.25 oz Curacao Bitter Orange Peel
.25 oz Sweet Orange Peel

in Secondary:

.25 oz Coriander
.25 oz Curacao Bitter Orange Peel
.25 oz Sweet Orange Peel

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Pulled the first pint of an American Wheat from the keg tonight, so this caught my attention. It's mostly a matter of personal taste, but I like to keep the wheat at 50% of the grain bill. My preference is stay away from the spices and go with an American citrusy hops. You don't mention yeast. Hope your going with a clean ale yeast. There are a lot of directions you can go with this and still stay within the style guidelines. You'll have to experiment to see what you like and adjust from there.

+1 on the citrusy hops. I made an american wheat a few months back with a combination of chinook and cascade hops came out wonderful. didnt even use any spices.

So what were your hop additions? When and what?
My version is at the high end of the style for both hops and ABV. It's an all Amarillo beer with 20 IBU's worth FWH'ed and another 10 IBU's with 15 minutes left in the boil. And to make sure the aroma backs up the bitterness, there's 1oz dry hopped for 10 days in a secondary. This base grain is softer than using all two row barley, so the hops are more prominent. Even at 30 IBU's, it comes across more like a wheat IPA. Very tasty if you love Amarillo the way that I do.

My version is at the high end of the style for both hops and ABV. It's an all Amarillo beer with 20 IBU's worth FWH'ed and another 10 IBU's with 15 minutes left in the boil. And to make sure the aroma backs up the bitterness, there's 1oz dry hopped for 10 days in a secondary. This base grain is softer than using all two row barley, so the hops are more prominent. Even at 30 IBU's, it comes across more like a wheat IPA. Very tasty if you love Amarillo the way that I do.

Gumball head?

Gumball head?
Ha! So, at first I saw your low post count and figured you were trolling and calling me names. Being a good computer geek, I googled the name. Interesting! Never heard of it, but will have to give it a try. Sounds delicious!

Three Floyds Gumballhead
Commercial Description:
An American Wheat Beer brewed with red wheat and boat loads of amarillo hops gives this summer brew a lemony finish.

GH.gif

Or were you calling me a gumball head? :D

Ha!
I am a bit of a lurker, but yea...the post was re: 3F beer.
There is a recipe on brew365 if you'd like a clone recipe.

Back