American Wheat Beer and Blow Outs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
Like many of you, I've had blow out issues. Though I don't recall them as a child during my pre-potty training years, I do recall them in brewing, particularly with Hefeweizens. By my calculations, I had about a gallon of beer lost to blow out in my last Hefe, reducing a 5 gallon batch to a much smaller 4 gallon batch.

I'm going to be making my first American Wheat. The grain bill is 4 lbs. white wheat malt and 4 lbs. 2-row pale and the yeast is wyeast 1010 (American Wheat).

Can I expect to have similar blow-out issues with this American Wheast as with a Hefe? (I used Wyeast 3068 for the Hefe).

If so, I think I'll just pitch in a gallon less and, hell, just drink the wort rather than having the ungreatful yeasties spit it out of the carboy.

I just finished an American hefe with Wyeast 1010. I experienced a thick krausen that came close to the lid, but no blow off. Ferm temp was 61F. This yeast creates a strong sulfer smell during fermentation. The finished beer has a clean flavor with no esters and a slight sulfer smell that I hope fades.

Latest posts

Back