American Wheat Ale problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire_studios

Reaction score
So I brewed an american wheat ale last night around 7:00 it went into primary. Using the Wyeast American Wheat 1010 liquid yeast and adding the 1% alcohol boost from AHS. This morning after about twelve hours in primary it was bubbling violently. Non stop. I went to work and I came home and checked on it and now not one bubble. Is there something wrong? Or is it possible that it is done already? I am concerned and would like some insite from the pros.

Josh

Bucket or Carboy?

Sometimes buckets have other leak points (the lid isn't fully sealed). More info and we'd be glad to help more.

I'm sure Revvy will be here to point out that airlock activity is no indicator of fermentation activity soon :D

Anyway, as was mentioned there could be a leak, but more than likely the most active part of the fermentation could be done. There are lots of people who will notice a stop in airlock bubbling after 24 hours, so it isn't that uncommon. That doesn't mean your beer is done fermenting. The yeast are still hard at work, but they are probably just not producing enough CO2 to constantly expel gas through the airlock right now.

Give it some time since the airlock bubbles aren't telling the full story. The hydrometer will tell the whole story.

I had a similar issue that I posted about yesterday. Mine is an Irish Red. Check out the thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-went-very-quickly-little-concerned-125985/.

I did a hydrometer reading last night after posting this, and there is clearly still SOME fermentation happening. To mitigate the risk of contamination or oxidation, I won't be opening my fermenter for any more readings for a few days, I just needed confirmation that my primary fermentation was still going, even if it was already winding down. I'll be racking to my secondary probably Thursday or Monday (I'm traveling for the weekend). I gotta clear up my primary for my Belgian Wit Ale that I have coming in the mail!

I have seen a wheat beer hit final gravity in 48hours when i used a starter and fermented at 71degrees.

I am fermenting right around 71-72 degrees. I checked this morning and there is some bubbling action but very slow. I feel better. Maybe the yeasties were just resting lol.

Josh

Latest posts

Back