American Hefe with orange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

car421

Reaction score
Brewing an American Hefe in a few hours and am looking to add orange to it. I have 4 large oranges and was going to peel them with a vegetable peeler to make sure not to get any of the white pith and add that with 10 min left in the boil. I was then going to juice the oranges and reserve that to add when I keg it next week.

Does this sound like a good plan to add a slight undertone of orange flavor/aroma?

I would wait to add the zest until fermentation is done, kind of like a dry hop. Boil the zest in a small amount of water for a couple minutes to pasteurize then add the zest & water to the fermentor (or keg). Adding juice to the keg will kick off a secondary fermentation because of the sugars in the juice, so I would just omit the juice. If you use it, add it before kegging and let it ferment out first.

Thanks for the reply. If I add the juice with the peel to the keg and rack on top of that and then put in the fridge at 40 degrees wouldn't that prevent secondary fermentation and still add a little flavor?

Thanks for the reply. If I add the juice with the peel to the keg and rack on top of that and then put in the fridge at 40 degrees wouldn't that prevent secondary fermentation and still add a little flavor?

Not really, yeast will eat at a very slow rate even when cold.

Being as your kegging the orange juice will only add a bit of carbonation to your keg over time, if you were bottling it, you would be asking for bottle bombs.

Cheers :mug:

Latest posts

Back