American Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tompither

Reaction score
So, I'm now on my third homebrew and have used an American Amber Ale kit. It's the first kit I've used that requires the hops adding. The hops have now been in 5 days and SG is stable, so I opened the fermentation bin and a lot of the hops is sitting in a scummy layer on top of the beer. It looks horrible, but I just wanted to check this was normal. I tasted the sample I pulled for measuring the gravity and it tastes fine. Actually it tastes very good considering it still hasn't had time to condition in the bottle.

So can I have some comfort from you more experienced brewers that the scummy layer on top of the beer is normal. Assuming I get some love from you guys I'll bottle it tomorrow

20140805_212819_HDR.jpg

Normal but don't bottle yet!

5 days is too soon in almost every case! I'd give it another 5 days to let the yeast metabolize some of the less desirable flavors that they create during primary and to make sure that all of the fermentables are consumed. Waiting a bit longer will also help that "scummy" layer drop to the bottom of your bucket and clear you beer.

At a minimum, check the gravity again in a couple days to ensure you are really at terminal gravity. Bottling too early makes for poor flavor, and risks exploding bottles.

Edit: did you dry hop this? Is tht what you meant by adding hops to this batch? If so, as long as the gravity is stable, yes 5 days is plenty to extract the aroma from the dry hop. Bottle away!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back