Amber Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBuuck

Reaction score
Looking to do an American amber this weekend, buying supplies at Northern Brewer. Kind of just threw this recipe together from other stuff I saw online, any input is greatly appreciated!

5 gallon batch
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012

6 lbs. Amber LME
3/4 lb. Caramel 40
1/4 lb. Caramel 120
1/10 lb. Chocolate malt

0.5 oz Horizon 60 min
0.25 Cascade 10 min
0.25 Horizon 10 min
0.25 Cascade 0 min
0.25 Horizon 0 min

Curious what y'all think about the hop schedule, as well as potentially subbing Munich malt for the Amber.... More of a fat tire feel maybe?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd definitely NOT use amber extract. I'd use pale. You have caramel malt in there already, and the amber malt would double that up. You can use some Munich malt extract instead, if you want a maltier feel and taste. I think Munich extract is 35% Munich malt, but I don't know that for a fact. That would be about right.

I'm not a fan of horizon hops, but for bittering they'd be fine. For late additions for flavor and aroma, I'd go with cascade for sure and if you want a second hop, willamette is great with cascade. That's what I love about Bell's Amber Ale- the willamette/cascade combo. .25 oz of hops is a "why bother?" amount though, in late additions. I'd go with .5 oz at 15 and 5 minutes, if you want a slightly hoppy finish, and 1 oz if you want a hobby beer.

If you want a Fat Tire feel, I'd not use cascade but instead some willamette at 15 minutes, in the amount of .5 oz. I'd change up the grainbill a bit if you wanted more of the Fat Tire malt flavor. I'd change that to include some victory malt or biscuit malt.

newbie myself and even though i've gone all grain , this is an extract recipe i'll continue to brew just because it's so good .

6 # amber dme (i much prefer dme to lme) if you want to use lme up it to 7.5 #
1# caramel 20

1.5 ozs cascade at 60 mins

1 oz cascade just before flame out

1 11 oz pk of us-05

5 oz priming sugar on bottle day

simple but delicious and has gotten rave reviews from friends .

I'd move the flavoring addition to 20 mins as that's about the peak flavoring time. At the least 15 mins…

And as Yooper said I'd not use the amber extract, but a pale/ultralight type.

Latest posts

Back