Amber IPA - Hop addition recommendations - Anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubiwan

Reaction score
My grain bill is 11 LB of the following:
Canadian 2 row 9 LB
Canadian Munich 1 LB (light 8-12 lovibond)
Crystal 40 1LB

Its already mixed together and ground.

Anyway I can make an amber IPA from what I have? Figured if I did some Cascade additions, some Amarillo, some citra maybe, then I'd have a nice malty IPA.

Would love some suggestions, or direction to recipes with same base.

Plan to do it this week, so hoprfully get some ideas.

Cheers in beers.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that grain bill...except for my tastes, I'd only add 8 oz (or less) of the Crystal 40. It will not be an Amber IPA. Just a regular IPA or a Pale depending on your hop schedule. If you have Cascade, Amarillo , and Citra you should have a nice, fruit forward IPA. Of course the yeast matters.

I'll assume West Coast...so: 60 min 1 oz of Cascade (or more depending on taste and AA%), 1 oz each of Amarillo and Citra at 5 minutes, 1 or 2 oz each, including Cascade at whirlpool @ 170 for 20 minutes. Then dry hop 1:2:2oz of Cascade, Citra, Amarillo at dry hop. If you wanted to go session NEIPA, the only difference would be the yeast...and maybe add some wheat and/or oats and/or chit malt....ymmv :)

Just saw that it's already mixed and ground...no changes in my advice, just a sweeter beer.

Safale 05 is fine for traditional IPAs. I often use the liquid equivalents. For NEIPA, more yeast character is often desired and there are a lot of options. My go to yeasts are Imperial A24 Dryhop and Wyeast 1318 for that style.

Hopstands are not essential. Frankly there are no "essential" hop schedules. There are traditional schedules and an infinite number of other options. The schedule I gave you works for me. You may indeed want to keep it simple when you are just starting out. Good luck! And update this thread when you've tasted your results.

Ask as many questions as you need, and use the search function. There is an abundance of knowledge and many experienced and helpful brewers here.

@RCope
Followed your advice in a different thread on a hop schedule. Packaging tomorrow/wednesday but I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it! Will update there with results
:mug:

My grain bill is 11 LB of the following:
Canadian 2 row 9 LB
Canadian Munich 1 LB (light 8-12 lovibond)
Crystal 40 1LB

Its already mixed together and ground.

Anyway I can make an amber IPA from what I have? Figured if I did some Cascade additions, some Amarillo, some Citra maybe, then I'd have a nice malty IPA.

Would love some suggestions, or direction to recipes with same base.

Plan to do it this week, so hopefully get some ideas.

Cheers in beers.

You could add a little black malt (midnight wheat, black patent, ...) to get a little closer to a red color. Clarity of the beer is a major consideration when targeting red as a color.

With a nice malty Red IPA (aka double red ale?) the "sulfate to chloride ratio" comes into play. Tipping the ratio towards malty could help.

Checked my hops. Here is what I have in the fridge:

60g cascade
45g simcoe
45g citra
15g Northern brewer

Found another 2LBs of 2-Row to add to my existing blend of:
9 LB 2 row, 1 lb crystal 40, 1 lb munich light.

Hoping I could shoot for a 6 gallon batch with my 13 lb grain bill. Will plug into Brewers Friend. Further advice would be deadly. Good deadly.

So with this hop selection, I'd go with the NB at 60min, do half of the others at flameout (due to your desire to avoid whirlpooling), the other half at dry hop. If you want more IBU's you can add some of the Cascade at 15 min, you can play with the additions in Brewer's Friend to get the bitterness that you like. You should have a nice citrus/pine West Coast IPA.

Back