Amber Ale. Which sounds better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aStoutObserver

Reaction score
Just as the topic title says, please give your opinion on these two.

Est. Abv = 4.96% Est. IBU = 29.4

6 lbs. - 2-row
2 lbs. - Munich
1 lb. - Crystal 60L
8 oz. - Flaked Oats
3 oz. - Chocolate Malt
3 oz. - Acidulated Malt

0.5 oz. - Northern Brewer @ 60
0.5 oz. - Northern Brewer @ 30
0.5 oz. - Willamette @ 15
0.5 oz. - Willamette @ 1

-or-

Est. Abv = 4.44 Est. IBU = 22.9

4 lbs. - 2-row
3lbs. 12 oz. - Wheat
6 oz. - Crystal 60L
3 oz. - Chocolate Malt
3 oz. - Acidulated Malt

0.5 oz. Northern Brewer @ 30
1 oz. - Northern Brewer @ 15
1 oz. - Willamette @ 5
0.5 oz. - Northern Brewer @ Dry
1 oz. - Willamette @ Dry

S-04 for the yeast for both.

Or Option 3, that they both need to be revised.

I like option 3.

I have an amber ale recipe that's really good and it uses 2-row, munich, crystal 40, and Special B. Willamette and Cascade are the hops.

Why are you using acid malt? The chocolate malt should give it enough acidity unless your water source is alkaline.

Using the acid malt because I use RO water and then build it based on what I understand from the Water Chemistry Primer. The chocolate/black patent/roast malts will help to act as a substitute in spots that I add them?
Is your amber recipe posted in the Recipe section?
I enjoy creating my own recipes (fail or success.)

Yes, roasted malts reduce pH. Using RO is fine but you may or may not need acid in the mash depending on what kind of salts you add to your water. Your best bet is to download and use Bru'n'water, which is an excel spreadsheet that makes is much easier to figure that stuff out.

My recipe isn't posted but the grain bill is similar to "much better amber ale" that's posted there.

I have been trying to nail down a good Amber recipe too. I have been using Special B in mine as well and like it. I use MO instead of 2row though.

I appreciate it LovesIPA. I had been just recently venturing into the spreadsheets (previously just using the primer.)
I always enjoy learning more.
I'll do more research and see what I can come up with.

I don't like chocolate or other roast flavors in my American ambers.

I use crystal malt, both a lighter and darker crystal, to get a balance of sweet toffee and deep flavors without being too sweet. Definitely no oats, which are "slick" and I think way out of place in an amber.

I'd go with the base malt, some munich malt, some crystal 40L and 90L, and a nice clean well attenuating ale yeast. I like willamette and northern brewer, if that is what you have, and I really like the combo of willamette and cascade like in Bell's Amber Ale.

I'm partial to option #1, only because I don't really care for wheat =P

To second a couple of things said above: I'd consider ditching the oats. Amber ales will usually benefit from being on the dryer side, and the oats will work against that. Crystal malts help with head retention, so you should be fine in that respect already as well.

I'd also consider changing the base malt to pale, or marris otter as mentioned above. But this is my own preference talking too. I always prefer more full-flavored beers, if you like it light, stick with 2-row.

If you're looking for light roasted flavors, I'd actually suggest swapping the chocolate malt for something a little lighter. I think Briess Extra Special Roast will blend better with the Crystal 60. I've used the combo before with some really great results. I'm huge fan of it myself.

You've all given great feedback. I enjoy learning from everyone's educated opinions. The chocolate was based off of Coronado Brewing's Amber, but I am content with dropping it based on the general consensus.
I do have some Cascade (from an eBay seller) and will try them out in a Smash to see how they are before I try them out in an Amber shortly after.
Again thank you all.

Back